You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

I've an old family photo taken with the camera at an angle of 45°. The photo is thus diamond shaped rather than square.

After scanning and cropping etc the family group is leaning to starboard. ie the horizon line is running from one corner to the opposite corner.

I've rotated the image which essentially cuts off the corners or if resized results in the corners having a severe case of vignetting

the 'view' 'rotate' option makes it look ok on the screen but doesn't save or export like that (ie a diamond shape)

I suppose the question is: is it possible to rotate an image and save it in a diamond shape?

PS I'm using Photo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Nelli. :)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if the original photo is diamond-shaped and you want the scanned copy to be diamond-shaped, couldn't you simply scan the photo in the desired orientation instead of scanning it with the edges horizontal/vertical and then rotating it? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred

Thanks, It may be that I'm not clear in my description.

The original photo is stuck in one of those (useless) magnetic albums

The original scan is square with other images etc which needed to be cropped out. After cropping to the border of the original photo we end up with square photo where we want a diamond shape

If we were printing it would not be an issue but we want and electronic diamond shape.  So if opened in another program it would be diamond shaped 

PS would images help?

Thanks for the clarification. The problem you're faced with, as I see it, is that all computer images are rectangular, so your diamond-shaped photo is only ever going to be a diamond in a square bounding box. (If you view your forum avatar image on its own, you'll find that it's actually square even though it's cropped to a circle here.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

30 minutes ago, Nelli said:

...If we were printing it would not be an issue but we want and electronic diamond shape.  So if opened in another program it would be diamond shaped...

Well in this case it also depends how that other program deals with images and their respective format. If that other program deals well with transparancy, then your best way is probably here to try what toltec shows you above, but then make the white areas of the rect bounding box transparent and save the resulting image then with transparency as a PNG/GIF image.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2