You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

NEX-6 Raw Develop Oddity

Running the latest version of AP on Windows 10 and I've noticed a very strange anomaly with my NEX-6 raw files from the 16-50 kit lens; especially with files having a blue sky. I'm seeing what looks like small lens flares in the upper left and upper right corners. See attached.

I've opened this same file in both PS and Capture One Pro and neither reveals this oddity. I tried turning lens correction on/off in AP, but that doesn't change anything. Anybody have any ideas what's going on here?

Thank you.

ScreenShot.jpg

I do not understand the details very well but as I understand it, RAW files typically include additional camera sensor data from areas outside whatever the camera considers to be the usable full frame size. Most RAW developers discard this data but by design Affinity Photo does not, leaving the choice to users.

So if that is what is happening here, the RAW file opened in AP will have slightly larger dimensions to include this image data vs. other apps like Capture One.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

AP does reveal a slightly larger converted image size than, for example, ACR (PS); 4920x3276 vs 4912x3264, respectively. Thinking that wasn't enough of a difference to really mean anything, once it was opened in AP I did an absolute dimensions crop to 4912x3264; no appreciable difference in the end result. The funny looking "flares" are still there. What's even stranger is that this phenomenon occurs on only a couple files from the same shoot, camera, lens, etc. i have developed several other files shot around the same time / same day, all with blue sky, and this oddity doesn't reveal itself! Very weird!! O.o