You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Long Until We have to Buy a new version?

2 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Point releases are free, major releases will cost.  Serif have used upgrade pricing in the past, but I've seen nothing official either way.  There's no compulsion to upgrade though - if v2 doesn't do enough for you you can carry on with v1.

Thanks.

Any idea on their road map for major releases ?  Every X years ?

1 minute ago, whitedragon101 said:

Thanks.

Any idea on their road map for major releases ?  Every X years ?

I've no idea - whenever Serif staff have been involved in this question in the past they've simply pointed out that v1's been out for a long time and there's no date for v2.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

We know that 1.7 is in the works, and given the number of items remaining on the 1.x roadmap it seems very likely that there will be at least a version 1.8, so on that basis version 2.0 isn't going to be here any time soon.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Version 2 would need to have lots of new (currently unheard of) features to persuade people to pay to upgrade to it.

Currently the Dev team seem focused on fixing existing bugs, implementing features from the 1.x roadmap and Affinity Publisher .  So unless Serif have part of their team simultaneously working on new version 2.0 features I doubt we will be seeing even a beta version anytime in the next 2 - 3 years.

As regards upgrade pricing, Serif have in the past always offered upgrade pricing to existing customers (the Plus range) but as the software is already incredibly cheap for what it does, only time will tell if there are to be any financial incentives to upgrade.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.