You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to "scissor off" an irregular part of a shape

Hi,

I saw a video on Youtube about a work around to "scissor off" a part of a picture in AD (similar to using the knife tool in DrawPlus), but the video was too fast for me to follow hos to do it. It appeared that you could draw a curve a cross a shape and the use deivide operations to cut it into two independent shapes. But when I attempt to do that, the program invariably closes the corve I draw which deforms the cutting in an undesirable way. Can somenone explain to me how to do it?Thanking you in advance,

Örjan

Hello orjwid,

After drawing the curve that crosses the shape, keep the selected curve, "Layer", "Expand Stroke".
Then select the shape and the curve and do a Boolean operation "Divide". The curve is then divided into three parts: two outside the shape and one inside.
Delete these three parts. The shape is now cut in half. 

Cutter.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello TekNacion,

You can duplicate the line,"Expand Stroke", reduce the length of the copy and remove the "3D"effect.
In the layers, drag the original line (which is always in 3D) into the thumbnail of the flat line, until you get a blue horizontal rectangle on the lower right part of the thumbnail.
Extend the set back to the original size.

Curve fx_edit.wmv