You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it still 1980? The only reason to strip Exif out of an image to post online was to help with internet connection speeds measured in double-figure kbps...

The user might not want to share the Exif data, or they might have been asked not to (e.g. for a competition where the organizers want to make sure that the entries are judged on their quality rather than the equipment used to produce them).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There are numerous reasons to not disclose EXIF to either clients or end viewers. If you're not aware of the issues involved, you may not need it. But for many professional uses, it is required.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 2 months later...

The lack of an option to preview the output quality is THE main reason I'm still using Photoshop today.

I bought Affinity Photo because I love many features of it.

Not being able to judge the image quality before saving renders the whole app allmost useless for me.

A lot of my work is internet related.

Getting the best compression / quality ratio is essential in this field.

Especially since screens with high pixel density are pretty much mainstream.

Is it still 1980? The only reason to strip Exif out of an image to post online was to help with internet connection speeds measured in double-figure kbps...

Actually, there are still plenty of reasons to have images optimized and stripped from unnecessary data (images for e-mailing, mobile websites, apps that download images on-line over mobile connections, that are not everywhere as fast as 3G/LTE, not mentioning data limits from mobile operators...).

As an update for ImageOptim (https://imageoptim.com/mac) mentioned above: current version supports both lossless and lossy optimization for both PNGs and JPEGs. I use this very often, sometimes along with ImageAlpha as well (when I need more control over how the PNG gets compressed). ImageOptim is clean & easy to use. Several tens or hundreds of PNGs exported from AD/AP are compressed with one drag'n'drop in one batch. Extremely efficient for my use cases (asseets for mobile apps, mainly).

UX/UI designer, IT analyst & consultant, Business Architect at Cool Ticket (www.coolticket.co).

MacBook Pro 13'' Early 2015, 3,1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Apple Thunderbolt Display 27'' (2560 x 1440).

• 5 months later...

I'm quite worried that this won't get into Affinity anytime soon.

These requests, especially about PNG / Diffusion / 8-bit / Alpha / Anti-aliasing started around 2015 and still no single feature has been implemented to get on par with the current PNG/save and preview options, some that are in PS for years now.

I truly hope that the PNG-8 optimization gets into Affinity ASAP, because this is one the biggest deal-breakers for me. (working with web-graphics)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/9/2017 at 1:13 PM, A for Design said:

The lack of an option to preview the output quality is THE main reason I'm still using Photoshop today.

I bought Affinity Photo because I love many features of it.

Not being able to judge the image quality before saving renders the whole app allmost useless for me.

A lot of my work is internet related.

Getting the best compression / quality ratio is essential in this field.

Especially since screens with high pixel density are pretty much mainstream.

Just wasted three hours until realising that Affinity Photo is no good at preparing news photos for web.

Back to Photoshop Elements for me for this task.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Sokolowski said:

@fulvio

In this same place right now. I bought AF but without preview its a game of guessing. 

Looks like this could be a good program, but im not going to invest time in learning curve and later use Photoshop anyway.

There are several programs that work really well for this sort of thing.

I use Faststone Image Viewer, which is free (non-commercial use)

preview.jpg.bec79076d7383883925aaa2d56c138ed.jpg

If you play around with things like Color Subsampling, you can get some great compression.

See the example above where the original is compressed to 52 kb from 343 at 72% quality.

Photo is great for so many things but is a new program at a great price. You can't expect full Photoshop features yet.

Mind you, I would still use Faststone. Saving all the Photos you need, then "batch" optimizing is a much faster process .

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks @toltec!

Im doing optimisation of webdesign in Photoshop, workflow like use program A for optimising noice, program 2 for contrast and 3 for export optimisation looks like not best choice ;)
When i have different slices of design, working with AF i should have to open every of them in external program to have a quality control preview. 

Maybe some plugin will do the job, but didnt found it. For now going back to Photoshop.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am new to the Affinity apps. I work as a freelance designer and most of my work nowadays is for the web. Just downloaded the trial versions of Designer, Publisher and Photo. Have been playing around with Designer, followed some tutorials and made an illustration with it. I was impressed with what it offers and how it works. e, For instance I like the pen tool with the curve tool more than the illustrator tools, really easy to work with.

Now I am looking into the Photo app. Looks really good and offers a nice set of features. But to prepare images for the web, sliders and banners I use the "save for web and devices" in photoshop a lot. In order to balance filesize and image quality you need to be able to compare the original image and the exported image side by side. Just typing in a value for compression and hope for the best is not going to work. Images are all different, and require different settings. You need to be able to see what you are doing.

Not being able to see what an exported image will look like is a dealbreaker for me. I was hoping that the affinity suite was going to help me get away from Adobe. Also, I like the apps and feel sympathetic towards affinity and would love to support them. But I am afraid it is not going to happen (yet).

Which is a shame.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 3:38 PM, Eagerbob said:

In order to balance filesize and image quality you need to be able to compare the original image and the exported image side by side. Just typing in a value for compression and hope for the best is not going to work. Images are all different, and require different settings. You need to be able to see what you are doing.

Not being able to see what an exported image will look like is a dealbreaker for me. I was hoping that the affinity suite was going to help me get away from Adobe. Also, I like the apps and feel sympathetic towards affinity and would love to support them. But I am afraid it is not going to happen (yet).

Same here. I bought affinity photo and designer and there is a few things I liked more on photoshop but overall -> affinity wins. But this one option as me being mostly a web developer - this is a crucial thing guys! You are making promises about this since 2015!!! Please - can we get an estimated date of this function? Not being able to see a preview makes the exporter pretty much useless for anyone who deals with web.

• 2 months later...

Greetings

Similarly, I came looking for a Photoshop replacement that needed to support PSD format, layers and image edition. I was impressed by the UI and the simplicity of it, but as a web developer, I need to be able to export designs made by, well, other web designers, and have a clear preview of the web export.

Alas, this software doesn't offer that. I'll be looking at other replacement software instead.

Regards

• 1 month later...

I want to echo the messages above.

I am looking for a tool to replace photoshop and thought Affinity was the right tool but I spend a lot of time creating images for the web.  Image size is critical and blindly picking a compression level without a preview is a waste of time.  This thread has been going on for years and this feature is still not available.  I guess it is low on their list but that is a shame. Having to use a separate tool to resize images is a waste of time and I will have to start looking elsewhere.

• 4 months later...

I absolutely need this in Photo and Designer. As a web designer it is essential:

Adding image preview when exporting for web graphics... So we can balance file size vs image quality. Especially when working with vector graphics.

Without this function, 75% of my workflow has to be in some other program.

This really should have been in the first beta of these programs, yet here we are with a 6 year promise. The web is not going away and those who design for the web are in need of this function forever and always.

1 hour ago, ethos7 said:

I absolutely need this in Photo and Designer. As a web designer it is essential:

Adding image preview when exporting for web graphics... So we can balance file size vs image quality. Especially when working with vector graphics.

Without this function, 75% of my workflow has to be in some other program.

This really should have been in the first beta of these programs, yet here we are with a 6 year promise. The web is not going away and those who design for the web are in need of this function forever and always.

This feature is in APhoto 1.9 beta that is pretty close to coming out. They're working out the last few bugs, but you can try it yourself by installing the beta from the beta thread. Installs side-by-side with the release version, so nothing harmed by trying it. I also need this feature VERY badly, so am pleased it is finally here. 

This is the Mac beta: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/19-photo-beta-on-mac/

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

There is now indeed a "preview" Checkbox in the export pane. Gives you a tiny poststamp preview at 8%. You can enlarge the preview, but the original underneath stays the same size. You cannot change this since the focus is on the export dialog box that is open. The preview window is attached to the export pane in some weird way. You cannot manipulate the preview window so that it sits side by side with the original, change the settings and compare the original with the exported version while you make the changes.

All in all a rather clumsy interpretation of the "save for web" functionality that we use and came to love in other apps. Not something that will make you happy if preparing images for online use is part of your workflow.

21 minutes ago, Eagerbob said:

There is now indeed a "preview" Checkbox in the export pane. Gives you a tiny poststamp preview at 8%. You can enlarge the preview, but the original underneath stays the same size. You cannot change this since the focus is on the export dialog box that is open. The preview window is attached to the export pane in some weird way. You cannot manipulate the preview window so that it sits side by side with the original, change the settings and compare the original with the exported version while you make the changes.

All in all a rather clumsy interpretation of the "save for web" functionality that we use and came to love in other apps. Not something that will make you happy if preparing images for online use is part of your workflow.

Gives me 13% by default - guess it depends on screen resolution. Also - you actually can resize the preview window any way you want. It doesnt remember it so you have to do it next time all over again.

As you can see - this is clearly just a first version but hey - IT DID HAPPEN! Its a first step but a huge one! Many thanks developers cause this was a pain for web designers and now its gone. Its a bit clumsy yet but it is available! Thanks a lot!!! 😊

EDIT: You have to CTRL Scroll to zoom the preview yet.