A_String

Macro Import Does Not Respond

I downloaded a sharpening macro (ending in .afmaco) from the forums here.  I added the macro window (View-Studio-Macro) and tried clicking the "Import" icon in the top right.  Nothing happened.  The tooltip seems to work (Says "Import" when I hover over it).  But when I click, nothing happens.  No window pops up to allow me to choose the file to import.

I'm using V.1.6.2.97 on Windows 10, 64 bit.  All drivers and OS is fully updated.

A_String 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

I'm not in the office today, but I'm sure we can look at this next week. Can you please confirm if this is a Microsoft Store purchase or a direct Affinity Store, as it would help us replicate  on the same as you are using. 

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

A_string
I had a similar issue when I began playing wit the macro feature. If the file extension ends with an "S" xxx.afmacros) it was an exported collection, from the Library panel. It could have one or several macros in the file  You have to import these via the Library Import  selection instead of the recorder or, as you mentioned... nothing happens. If it it has the xxx .afmacro extension (no "S" ) it is a single macro file exported from the Recorder panel and has to be imported back through the recorder and then saved into the library.  The recorder ignores the .afmacros extension as well. This one had me talking to myself before I finally found an obscure reference to the easily missed difference in the two file names.

Steve

I think this has more to do in this case with what Patrick implied, if on Win the sandboxed MS Store version is possible used vs the Affinity site Win one. - Apps from the MS Store have sometimes a different security restriction and behavior here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.0 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.0 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Hi A_String,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You are using the Macro panel to try to import a .macros file (note the S at the end). The Macro panel can only import .afmacro files (without the S at the end) - which are a set of steps for a single macro only.

To import an .afmacros file (a set of macros which one with its own steps) you have to do it from the Library panel - menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Library. Click the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Macros...

@v_kyr

The Microsoft Store version can import macro files without issues.

Thanks for the reply, all!

I should be clear on a few things here.  First, there is no S in the file extension name. More importantly, however, the issue is the button isn't responding at all.  Windows Explorer doesn't come up.  In fact, clicking the import button does nothing at all.  I don't get as far as being able to choose a file. I click the button and nothing happens.

Also, this was purchased directly from the Affinity website.

Thanks in advance for any further help you can offer!

I'm not sure that's it, @MEB. First, he seems to understand the difference between the two file types. Second, the problem as described is that clicking on the import icon does nothing at all. He doesn't get the import dialog, and can't begin to choose a file. If he had the dialog open, it would matter what kind of file he was trying to select, but not until then.

I think the "problem" may be simple: you can't import a macro unless you have a document open. With no document open the import icon is grayed out.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404

That never occurred to me,Walt, but makes sense.  I'll be at the PC in 10 and Will update here.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure that's it, @MEB. First, he seems to understand the difference between the two file types. Second, the problem as described is that clicking on the import icon does nothing at all. He doesn't get the import dialog, and can't begin to choose a file. If he had the dialog open, it would matter what kind of file he was trying to select, but not until then.

I think the "problem" may be simple: you can't import a macro unless you have a document open. With no document open the import icon is grayed out.

That worked!

Thank you so much to everyone for jumping in to help!  I've been a Photoshop user for almost as long as it has existed so this switch over, to Affinity, is apt to have a bump or two! lol.  Either way, I love this program and I'm really loving this community!

Thanks again to Walt for the answer and to everyone else for the quick help!