rajdarge

Dodge and Burn Masks

Just bought this software, cause I'm tired of the others: 

Mainly interested in masking, retouching, and special fx. 

So I create a mask (good work on hair masking :)) but for the body of my subject, I normally use the the dodge and burn tool on the mask to darken or lighten as appropriate. Saves using the pen-tool, sometimes.

The dodge/burn tool doesn't seem to do anything at all to the mask, and when I get mad and keep scrubbing at a place that doesn't change in any way - it enters a crazy death spiral and exits. Clearly there is a bug somewhere, but am I trying to do something that I shouldn't?

So what gives? 

MEB
I recently found a very easy way to do a D&B "mask", in an unexpected way.  Add a Pixel layer over the layer that you want to work on. Set the pixel layer to SOFT LIGHT. Now you have a dodge and burn layer mask that uses the paint brush and black and white method. It also allows you to adjust the layer and/ or brush opacity. Need two different levels of strength for a complex dodge and burn session?  Just add another pixel layer set to SOFT LIGHT and D&B some more with fresh settings.

This one also has an additional little trick. It can overlay transparent color. Just add another pixel layer to hold the color, so that you have independent control over it.  Absolute magic if you want to colorize an old photo. I've been adding 3 Pixel layers so that the Dodge, Burn and Color, can all can be adjusted independently. It's becoming a much used trick, here.
Steve

Vielen Dank für den Tipp, werde ich mal ausprobieren.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try .

Win7 HP 64 Bit, AMD Six-core 3.50 GHz, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

MEB
Very good. Just sharing a favorite tool. I've found It functions almost like a Super Dodge and Burn. Good stuff.

Steve

Thanks for all the great pointers. I try to avoid D&B as it takes a very long time to achieve a good result. I don't have that much time to spend on an image, and I can get pretty close with a few minutes of FS as opposed to hours of D&B. 

However, as I thought this was a bug forum, you can't use the D&B tool on the transparency MASK of an image layer - The transparency mask. 
eg: Pick a layers transparency mask by ALT click on the icon. 

Then try and darken and lighten the pix with the dodge and burn tool - Nothing happens, and after a while if you keep doing it, the program exits. 

So a bug? a feature? - you be the judge :)-