You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Essential features for creatives

At the risk of keep harping on about these suggestions, I don't remember (my age I guess) whether they were acknowledged as being valid. Indulge me here, I will just outline those features again, which as a designer for some years, I consider essential in everyday working which at present are not available in both programs.

A/Designer 
1) Shapebuilder tool, requested a number of times by others.
2) Multiple strokes (know this to be on roadmap). Is this likely to make 1.7?
3) Gradients on a path

A/Photo
1) Multiple gradient strokes as in Photoshop
2) In FX - Bevel/emboss, enhanced chisel hard/soft, contour and texture ability
3) In FX - Pattern overlay
4) Access to all gradients in FX which are not accessible at the moment.

I know this must be a real headache for the development team to keep having so many suggestions from all directions but as far as Photo is concerned, it's development has to date largely concentrated on Photographers but it would be nice to hear some positive enhancements for designers in the next upcoming upgrades. I would like to know what the Dev team think about the items above.
Really like these programs and really want them to be even better still.

36 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

3) Gradients on a path

Hello Raymondo,

may I ask what you mean with that feature?

At the moment it is possible to assign a gradient to a 'stroke' by selecting in the 'Context' dropdown 'Stroke'.

I assume you have something different or more elaborate in mind?

Thankyou.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi Dominick. I mean that whatever line path you make, the gradient will follow it. Say you drew a circle and applied a gradient, that gradient will faithfully follow the path of the circle, likewise if you drew a wavy line, it will follow it. Are you familiar with Adobe illustrator? Look up using gradients in illustrator and you will see what I mean.

8 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Hi Dominick. I mean that whatever line path you make, the gradient will follow it. Say you drew a circle and applied a gradient, that gradient will faithfully follow the path of the circle, likewise if you drew a wavy line, it will follow it. Are you familiar with Adobe illustrator? Look up using gradients in illustrator and you will see what I mean.

OK, thank you for the explanation. This is indeed not possible, yet, in ADe.

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 months later...

Seems that this post covers the same need as I have.

The patters should remain the same regardless if you draw lines in a rectangle, diagonal, or a circle. If you bend  the line or you stretch an existing line for example to double its length it should still show the original patterns distances and position relative to the path..

If you add a texture like a checkerboard type it does not work for diagonal lines. If you use a texture like on a graph paper it could happen that a vertical or horizontal line picks up just a line (like „Green only“ in my example)- so no „dots“ show anymore. Same applies to textures in form of circles or 45 degree hatched lines.

If you work with a „frozen“ texture this might look fine at first sight. But the moment you need to stretch that patterned line it gets ugly (like “Stretched“ in my example).

So - in a way I am looking for a pattern which follows a given path.

Wonder if the affinity team regards this „nice to have“ feature as doable and feasible.

Your question … who needs that?

In Germany the protective wiring (grounding conductor) consist of a copper lead in a yellow/green sleeve. Usually the drawings for electric wirings are black and white incl. the respective symbols. But the readability could be improved by using color - at least in case of very critical wiring.

In brainstorming layouts one could use those dotted lines to mark a specific type/flow of thoughts.

In advertising one could have „line-effects“ simplified

The attached demo-file was made with affinity photo ... so no real drawing

GreenYellow.afphoto