You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

buy it or not buy it, is the question

Hello, today i download the trial and i think that Affinity can be a big product. but sadly i'm experiencing a detail with the brushes, is a delay when you pressdown and drag it (in mouse and wacom too). maybe you do not have the code of your product very optimized or something like that. but for me (and for much others i think) is a seriously detail to decide not buy this program. i see this problem from posts in the forum from 2016?!!! .... you have a real problem with your program. but it have future, the user interface is your best advantage. i hope to remember this program in some years and come back to try the trial version to decide if buy it or not. greettings :)

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly. I bought the program and can say, that when you work a little longer than the trial version, you'll find that the programs are very raw. There are no basic tools. The development of the program is very slow. The guys are not in a hurry and maybe not even know where they are going. They do not collect the best of the other programs, they just copy Illustrator. The interface is already getting tangled, and they are just beginning. I could return the program back, but $100 is not a lot of money.

16 hours ago, ArturKh said:

Honestly. I bought the program and can say, that when you work a little longer than the trial version, you'll find that the programs are very raw. There are no basic tools. The development of the program is very slow. The guys are not in a hurry and maybe not even know where they are going. They do not collect the best of the other programs, they just copy Illustrator. The interface is already getting tangled, and they are just beginning. I could return the program back, but $100 is not a lot of money.

At least the company is not greedy. 

• Staff
17 hours ago, ArturKh said:

Sorry, I am not really sure what you are saying?  No basic tools?

As for development time, we have developed our apps a lot faster than some of the big competition (no names).  Our v1 release is more feature rich than most first release software.  As for "not knowing where we are going" - you could not be more wrong!!!  We have a very good idea where we are going, but our policy is to only release features when they are up to a standard that we are happy with.  Pushing out a half-baked solution just fixes a poor implementation in history - as is very clear in some other packages where they are now "stuck" with some bad choices.

And, one thing we are definitely NOT doing, is just copying Illustrator!  Try reading some professional reviews on that front.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I dont get it, since i switched to affinity from adobe, i finish all my professional labory and time consuming work at least in half the time, and the inspirational works i do, i enjoy the process , sometimes the process itself is what inspires me more due to pure joy and convenience i feel from it. This has led me to tend towards hiring people who are skilled at affinity rather than adobe since they can do more creative works in less time. So i have to say arthurkh, i really cant relate with your opinion, if u asked me , i dont think you have put much time getting to know the app and it doesnt take much either.

55 minutes ago, Ben said:

Sorry, I am not really sure what you are saying?  No basic tools?

As for development time, we have developed our apps a lot faster than some of the big competition (no names).  Our v1 release is more feature rich than most first release software.  As for "not knowing where we are going" - you could not be more wrong!!!  We have a very good idea where we are going, but our policy is to only release features when they are up to a standard that we are happy with.  Pushing out a half-baked solution just fixes a poor implementation in history - as is very clear in some other packages where they are now "stuck" with some bad choices.

And, one thing we are definitely NOT doing, is just copying Illustrator!  Try reading some professional reviews on that front.

No, you are definitely copying illustrator! Illustrator is the first who make this "draw modes persona" thingy! They also invent snapping tolerance and tilted planes first! And most importantly, i need to pay 20$ a month to use the software!

All this seems very strange to me.

I am a very old Adobe user and I only recently discovered Affinity.
Obviously the approach is different from that of Adobe ... say it is a copy of Illustrator seems wrong!
If it were true, everything would be easier but damn useless if not to save money.

It's different, it takes awareness of learning.

If you want to find the same things in the same place, maybe you should continue to use Illustrator.

There's everything you want ... I'm too old to believe in fairy tales.

There are things you can hardly understand ... it's normal.

The boys are not in a hurry ... I remember one of my professors telling me to reread the theme well before handing it over to him.

What I love most about AD is the fact that I can take my Cintiq pen to draw on the same software, make sketches, modify them and then realize the executive in vector.

To create logotype is the maximum and is the oldest thing a graphic designer can do.

There are no delays in the use of brushes, indeed. Before I used SketchBook because Photoshop was not very responsive.

Making writings on AD, aging them with brushes is extremely fast and intuitive.

What makes me nervous is that I have some customers who want the files in .ai to be able to change colors or other things ... this fact is boring ;) but it is not Affinity's fault !!!

18 hours ago, ArturKh said:

Haha. This made my day. And that's because:

a) Absurd things are funny.

b) This can be said about anything, so it's so generic.

c) I am in a good mood.

Best regards!

1 hour ago, Ben said:

And, one thing we are definitely NOT doing, is just copying Illustrator!

30 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

No, you are definitely copying illustrator!

Please note that Ben didn't say they are not copying Illustrator. All he said was that they are not just copying Illustrator. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

9 minutes ago, Filo63 said:

What makes me nervous is that I have some customers who want the files in .ai to be able to change colors or other things ... this fact is boring ;) but it is not Affinity's fault !!!

Export to PDF and then change the filename extension (in Windows File Explorer, or in Finder on a Mac, as appropriate) from *.pdf to *.ai. Your customers will probably never know. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred,
what you told me I know, unfortunately some complex effects that I apply on some graphics when they are exported to pdf are rasterized and can not be changed anymore.

For example (I do not know if it will be understandable because my English is simple) until I age the writings in Photoshop and save them to gray levels.

When I load on Illustrator I apply a color spot to color them. The customer has the possibility to modify only the spot color to obtain different series of colors.

In AD this is done internally and in different ways. If the customer does not have AD he can no longer change the color.

Maybe there is a better way but I have not figured out what it is.

Ciao

Fabio

If it's mandatory to deliver the AI file, some folks do this: pay one month for that solely purpose and integrate that fee into the final price for the client.

Another way would be that more clients embraced the Affinity range of products. ;)

Best regards!

Just now, Mithferion said:

If it's mandatory to deliver the AI file, some folks do this: pay one month for that solely purpose and integrate that fee into the final price for the client.

Another way would be that more clients embraced the Affinity range of products. ;)

Best regards!

Oh, that's cheeky. I like that! 

• Staff
53 minutes ago, Fatih19 said:

No, you are definitely copying illustrator! Illustrator is the first who make this "draw modes persona" thingy! They also invent snapping tolerance and tilted planes first! And most importantly, i need to pay 20$ a month to use the software!

No, we are definitely NOT copying Illustrator.  Firstly, I am the one that wrote both the snapping and grids/axis features, and I can tell you that I did not copy Illustrator at all.  I actually worked to a set of use cases, and fitted tools to a set of requirements. Any similarities will be due to arriving at similar conclusions, but through a logical process.  I can also tell you that what we are doing with grids and axes in 1.7 is stuff that is going to be unique, and is most certainly NOT copied from any other software.

I also have no idea what you mean by "inventing snapping tolerance".... the idea of "tolerance" is not exactly original, and the idea of snapping something that exists within distance of another thing most certainly is not a unique concept to Illustrator.  Try using some other packages for 2D, 3D, etc, etc, etc. They all offer snapping using some notion of tolerance - how on earth else would you do it!?!?!?!?!?

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Actually, I could give you a list of features that show that we are not "just copying Illustrator", but I feel I'd be wasting valuable time that I could otherwise spend working on new features. ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

No, we are definitely NOT copying Illustrator.  Firstly, I am the one that wrote both the snapping and grids/axis features, and I can tell you that I did not copy Illustrator at all.  I actually worked to a set of use cases, and fitted tools to a set of requirements. Any similarities will be due to arriving at similar conclusions, but through a logical process.  I can also tell you that what we are doing with grids and axes in 1.7 is stuff that is going to be unique, and is most certainly NOT copied from any other software.

I also have no idea what you mean by "inventing snapping tolerance".... the idea of "tolerance" is not exactly original, and the idea of snapping something that exists within distance of another thing most certainly is not a unique concept to Illustrator.  Try using some other packages for 2D, 3D, etc, etc, etc. They all offer snapping using some notion of tolerance - how on earth else would you do it!?!?!?!?!?

Do you not realize I meant that as a sarcasm to the first guy? 

• Staff

You need to add some <sarcasm></sarcasm> markers.   ;)

But, I still feel it's worth pointing out that we are no cheap clone.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

1 minute ago, Ben said:

You need to add some <sarcasm></sarcasm> markers.   ;)

But, I still feel it's worth pointing out that we are no cheap clone.

The different of "cheap clone" and simply "not greedy" is unnoticeable sometimes. I'm on the second one. 

• Staff

I thought that was a positive...? :P

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Maybe, haha.

But now that we are talking about Illustrator, I believe that most of the folks that complain about some features not present in Designer want Illustrator so bad but they are so poor... Frustration beyond imagination.

Best regards!

2 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe, haha.

But now that we are talking about Illustrator, I believe that most of the folks that complain about some features not present in Designer want Illustrator so hard but they are so poor... Frustration beyond imagination.

Best regards!

Here is the thing : Illustrator existed for about 31 years while AD is 4 years. When a software that is more than 7 times younger can replace most of the older software feature, you (not specifically you, but people that says this software is not an Illustrator competitor) just need more time.