You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images Unnecessarily Scaled to Fit-to-Screen After operation

Hi,

After at least too operations I've noticed that Affinity Photo enlarges the edited image to 'Fit to Screen'. This effects "Cropping" and also the "Resize the Document" option.

Resize Image - to Recreate:

Open a large image such as 1920x1080, use the option "Resize the Document", change the dimensions to 800x450. Instead of the image being left at it's 100% zoom ratio, the image is enlarged to 'Fit-to-Screen'.

Cropping - to Recreate:

Open a large image and crop it down to a manageable size, smaller than your working canvas screen area, e.g 1920x1080 image, resize to 800x450. Instead of the image being left at it's 100% ratio, the image is enlarged to 'Fit-to-Screen'.

This is not the expected behavior, the enlarging of the image on the screen/canvas after an operation is unnecessary and pixelates the image. 100% zoom ratio looks perfect. This is how other software behaves, such as Photoshop. There isn't any use I can think of that the user would need the image to be re-sized to fit the display after cropping or resizing unless the image was larger than the display area - scaled down yes, but not enlarged.

Thanks, Jay.

Chris,

Thanks, I also found another issue. If I open an image that is smaller that the canvas/screen view, the image is also scaled to fit the whole screen area.

Typically in software you have the option to choose whether software 'fits-to-screen' or not, but for all software normally images open at they're correct ratio, zoomed in at 100% - so best quality and so forth.

For example if you open an image like a sprite that is 64x64, instead of it opening at 100% zoom, the whole image is enlarge to fill the whole screen.

As I do some developing, although by no means a master. It would appear that the code that is intended to scale a large image down to fit the working screen/canvas area as is also switched on and doing the opposite and up-scaling everything fit-to-screen too.

This is why I think it's a bug and not an intended feature - it's pointless, isn't it?

Thanks.