You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Following Video Tutorials and Basic Concepts (Split)

Il y a 24 minutes, SF Charter Boat a déclaré:

Existe-t-il un index ou une recherche pour plus de 200 tutoriels d'affinité sur Vimeo?

Est-ce la même chose sur Youtube, et dans une fenêtre Recherche ou Index?

Commentaire trouvé un sujet particulier sur les tutoriels?

THX

Voici un lien officiel.

Bonne soirée.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 0:32 PM, rafi266 said:

Hi SF!

Ive been following your questions with sympathy, since we all have been where you are at the moment! (By the way Cedge- great explanations for newbies.)

I have a few remarks which I hope will be useful:

When you open and 'play around' with a raw file, and then save it- as you already understood, it is automatically saved as a afphoto file, which can only be read by Affinity. If you havent changed the place for saving this file, it will be saved in the same folder where the original raw (NEF etc) file is situated. you will see the two files next to each other- the original raw file, untouched- and next to it the afphoto file, which now sports a purple Affinity logo on its icon. 

One thing to be careful of- is saving a JPEG after editing via Affinity. When trying to close this file via 'exit', or clicking on the little X on top right of image or trying to close Affinity, you will be prompted with something like this: "the *** file has been modified (IOW changes have been made to it). Document about to close - would you like to save your changes?" 

Choosing NO will cancel your editing that you just did. Original JPEG is unchanged.

BUT!!!! choosing YES will change the original image! And unless you have made a copy somewhere you have now no way to get back to the original JPEG.

The only way to save your edits and keep the original is to choose 'save as' via File tab (or control-shift-S). Now you will get an afphoto file with changes, next to the original, unchanged JPEG.

Hope this helped!

Rafi

I learn the hard way.

I like this decryption of RAW files. I never use raw files but they've always been a mystery to me. I have done lots of darkroom stuff...dose this reveal my age?  With your description, I now can understand what it is. Maybe, I'll try it.

Thank you for clearing up mystery.  

Twice in this series of responses I have gotten the raw 'snobbery' reference and then extended darkroom parallels. I had a darkroom in New York in my studio, converted it to storage and sent my stuff out to high end printers, I did not want to shoot all day and be in the darkroom all night, charging the client for any prints and processing, with a mark up.

So, I am baffled by whatever opinion people may have of raw, if a format offers me more information than jpeg and is called DUNG, fine by me. I just want to start in Affinity, and have not yet, waylaid by essentially no information if one shoots in raw. Look it up in the book that I paid $45 for, I was perplexed, now I sorta get that I can import to Develop in raw, but then have to jump to another persona to use the juicy stuff, and how to label stuff and keep the original I am still trying to figure out. The video Tutorials have no index, very weird to me. Why NOT? And the four or five raw tutorials (who knows there could be more, did not feel like going through 29 pages of multiple subjects), did not go into why or how or what process raw is being used in Affinity, rather more into its Develop adjustments. Basically nothing in the book either.

The whole process is heavy loaded into Intermediate or Advanced, this is a bummer for me. I am about to try and pay for Eager Learner tutorials, I feel the Affinity stuff is too fancy and negligent for a basic, beginner. For example the book starts with "we assume" a few times, then I have to go to page 82 to start? Shows where the priorities are. I have said too much, everyone has been very helpful, thanks, but I do not feel what Affinity offers a beginner is useful. If it had been, I would not be here whining and winging. So, off to Eager Learner or other sources, hopefully I will get it, and will be back  soon...:) Cheers

Stuart 

SF
Cool your jets. Like many, I can certainly appreciate a good rant, assuming it has merit. This stuff doesn't just magically pop into your head, not without a fair amount of brain sweat. You don't get a free pass just because you're frustrated. I didn't bitch, even once, about sharing the same information in 4 different ways. The silly cat thing was no joke. It is a common sense step by step guide to beginning your AP journey in a natural and efficient way. Try and follow it a few times. You just might experience a cognitive breakthrough. Now... step away from the exit and do your part.

Steve

Il y a 11 heures, SF Charter Boat a déclaré:
Il y a 11 heures, SF Charter Boat a déclaré:

....... je suis déconcertée par l'opinion que les gens peuvent avoir de brut, si un format m'offre plus d'informations que jpeg et s'appelle DUNG, bien par moi. Je veux juste commencer dans Affinité, et je n'ai pas encore, guidé par aucune information si sur le filme brut. ..........

Good morning. 

The RAW format is the one that contains ALL the image information. He is the twin brother of the silver negative. (nothing more).

I did not buy the book because it is not published in French. But (it seems) it assumes that the notions of stockings are acquired.

This is not a general training book for photography. It should be considered as a user manual. I don't think Eager Learner tutorials will help you anymore.

So, if you need help, we will be happy to answer you.

Yours sincerely.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Stuart...
I'm not quite sure how or why you've percieived any personal negativity towards you for shooting and using RAW files or having once been a dark room spook.  RAW users are currently sitting happily at the top of the evolutionary heap. My "RAW snobbery " comment was simply noting the wide spread negative opinion of us JPEG shooters. We are pretty much considered to be the Luddites of the photography / graphics world. I was not throwing any shade your way, but sharing a bit of self deprecation. I just spent extended time trying to get you comfortable using RAW files in AP, so your snarling response came as somewhat of a surprise. I don't care if you use RAW or any other format.... as long as you begin to grasp the basics of AP.  I'm not even offended... just perplexed.

As for those "long darkroom scenarios" that keep popping up, You were the one who stated that it was familiar territory. Since, both, darkroom procedure and what we do in AP have a whole lot in common, you're quite likely to hear those same comparisons made again and again. They are not given in any sort of condescending manner. Hell... I would have loved to have had the experience myself. Somewhere down the road. I'm betting that when you get a handle on AP and ry to assist another new guy, you too will resort to the same familiar dark room explanations , hoping to help break through the confusion.

Understanding your current frustration, I'm going to let you be, for the time being. I certainly didn't intend to detonate anyone. So.. I'm off to spread some big time love, all over my current 1955 Junkyard Cadillac poster project. Feel free to seek future assistance, if and when you get things back on an even keel. I don't mind helping. You hang in there.

Steve

Hi SF!

I said previously that I have sympathy with your frustration, and following what I am now reading between the lines of the above-  I understand completely what you are getting at. I too have a background of years in camera usage, and I also thought that buying the workbook would be a magic wand into understanding and starting to work with Affinity. Unfortunately, it wasnt. As you said- the book starts with the assumption that one understands the basics and more or less skims over this extremely important part of the learn curve. I assume that other enterprising people will put out a book that fills this void - check out this link: https://theeagerlearner.com/blog/

by DrippyCat. (Thanks, Simon!). You can download there a 90 page PDF with great explanations of a lot of stuff that is probably puzzling you.

And of course- there is a huge amount of info out there in Youtube (did I say Drippycat?...)