You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Following Video Tutorials and Basic Concepts (Split)

(Split by Moderator from this source thread on Affinity Photo Video Tutorials)

Am a Beginner Beginner, viewed the first tutorial 

Question:  Before I begin any adjustments or editing of an image, am I to go to File., then Save As before I begin work on the image?

It would be good if the guy did a re cap at the end of the tutorial, a "this is what I just told you"

So, I am still not clear on even how to begin.

Is this File, Save As, basically a duplicate that I can work on and the original is saved?

Again, the developers in my opinion need to get over the assumption that we are at their level. I need a very basic one, two, three, and it seems each method of instruction is light on the Very Beginners area.

Thx

Stuart

22 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

Is this File, Save As, basically a duplicate that I can work on and the original is saved?

Exactly, Stuart. When you 'Save As...' to a new name you are working on the new version of the file from that point onwards, so the old version doesn't undergo any further changes. I can't think of any software that doesn't work this way.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred, thanks for clarity. If my original is, say, "Yosemite" and I make a Save As version, the original is its own file and the Save As essentially a duplicate?

Any suggestion how to clarify the labeling on  "Save As" that I can use for all future duplicates, that can distinguish between the original and the duplicates, any hints or standard practice? Much appreciation, now I will move on...

Cheers

Stuart

ps

I am importing my photos in Photos on a Mac,  so when I use a Save As on Affinity, are both the original and the Save As stored in the same place?

Sorry for the questions which may seem obvious to all, but I just want to get off properly for importing, storage and adjustments

Thanks

Stuart

You know, I am at the beginning of the  Affinity Getting Started video and it does not even mention using Save As!

This is very frustrating, to be able to find a clear, sequential, consistent set of tools with which to use to even start the process....

I don't care whether it is the "official' or not version but is there not a generally accepted method of just starting?

i don;t care about adjustments at this point, I simply would like information on how to import a photograph, label it, (save it by Save As?), and where and how to store/label it and be able to find it in Photos.

SF
A "save as" is used to prevent overwriting an original file. It allows you to save using a different file name.  For instance... if your original image is "Yosemite"  You might want to use "Save As" to rename the edited image to something like "Yosemite-edit-A". It seems that "save as" will default to a .afphoto file extension. Saving the new file name at the beginning of your session is an ok work flow technique, but not required.

If you want the save the new file as a JPEG etc, use the export option.  The .afphoto is Affinity Photo's proprietary file format, used to "archive" a working project complete with all layers, history and etc. Very hand if you have a project that might need future changes.

As for the frustration level you're feeling right now... This puppy has a  whole lot of tools and you, as the new guy, are going to feel like you are either drinking from a fire hose, or that you're wandering around a desert where everything is hidden from you. Take it in small bites and take frequent breaks to absorb whatever item you've just learned. It will not take long before those scattered bits of knowledge begins to coalesce into a more coherent  image. Keep at it and somewhere ahead you will feel the mental click as things finally click inside your head.

Never forget that we all began where you are.  Ask questions... lots of question.....no matter how silly you might think they are. There are always others who need/want the same information, but fear being ridiculed for asking. Even with nearly 30 years of graphics work under my belt, I still ask questions... and sometimes lots of them

Steve

Steve, thanks for your time and the response.

First, you have given me an option on how to label a Save As, ie Yosemite A, Hawaii A, 747 A. That clearly distinguishes for me a modified from the original.

But, if I am importing in Photos (Mac), and editing/making an Affinity Save As, will these new versions be stored in the same ( I guess) place with the original?

How and where to store the Save As images-since this is what it is all about, for me, anyway, modifying and adjusting the image. I just want to know if I have to do anything more after I go to Save As, which I will be doing with everything on Affinity?

Secondly, I shoot in RAW, and your second paragraph discusses JPEG. I do not feel there is enough information for me to determine how/why/where the Affinity process works with these two formats. I have about five stops extra shooting raw, why is this a separate category? Do I have to do anything different if I want to adjust in raw? If so,  where are the modified Save As, Yosemite A, for example, images  stored, and are they stored in raw?

Yes, I get it that I must do a very slow dance, but I had hoped to be able to find a process, whether video, book or tutorial, which could walk me through from the very beginning. I used Aperture, liked it, then Apple pushed the boat from shore, so there are a few skills, and I used to be a New York  professional photographer and DP on films, so there is a visual background, but not a computer based Let's Get Started simple explanation for Affinity..

Patiently plugging along, want to get the basics down before I even begin the adjustments...... Stuart

35 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

But, if I am importing in Photos (Mac), and editing/making an Affinity Save As, will these new versions be stored in the same ( I guess) place with the original?

How and where to store the Save As images-since this is what it is all about, for me, anyway, modifying and adjusting the image. I just want to know if I have to do anything more after I go to Save As, which I will be doing with everything on Affinity?

‘Save As...’ allows you to choose not only a new name but also a new location. Whether or not you want to keep the new version in the same location or a different one is entirely up to you.

35 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

Secondly, I shoot in RAW, and your second paragraph discusses JPEG. I do not feel there is enough information for me to determine how/why/where the Affinity process works with these two formats. I have about five stops extra shooting raw, why is this a separate category? Do I have to do anything different if I want to adjust in raw? If so,  where are the modified Save As, Yosemite A, for example, images  stored, and are they stored in raw?

Affinity Photo doesn’t save or export to raw formats.

Alfred spacer.png

Alfred, Thanks for the clarification on Save As location determination and raw response.

Next, am a bit confused-if I shoot in raw, which is what I would guess most people do using Affinity, and Affinity "does not save or export raw formats", then are you saying the , for me, exposure advantage shooting raw is negated by using Affinity?

This does not make sense to me, if I have an advantage shooting raw, the Affinity manipulation and export is not done in raw?

Nor can I "save or export to raw formats" ?

Obviously, I need expiation/instruction on what appears to me an adjustment/manipulation system restricted to JPEG?

Confused but thanks for time

Stuart

SF
I've used other software that had their own "archive" files. I usually made it a habit to create a folder just for those files. With AF Photo, I created a folder called "afphoto-files" as the destination for my "save as ( .afphoto ) formatted files. It makes for a clean and easy to access single location for them to accumulate.

As for opening files In AP, you have several options......
File- New  = a blank page
File - New From Clipboard = anything you have used a "copy" command (CTRL- C or CMD - C) is pasted into its own new screen.
File - Open = an image somewhere on your computer
File - Open Recent = Files you've recently had open in AP
File - Open folder in explorer = you are taken directly to the folder where the active image on screen is stored.
You can also copy and paste layers between the various images open on screen.

Not everyone has a need for RAW editing. I'm not doing any publication projects and I'm just too old to care about trying to impress my peers, so I shoot and post process using JPEG. Besides...with a close to a half million images already stored, I really don't want to store those HUGE RAW files on or off the cloud.

As strange as it might sound, I'm re-experiencing a bit of what you are dealing with, in that I'm having to learn where all the goodies are hiding too. It's just another learning curve to conquer. Don't let it get to you.

Steve

SF
Let's see if we can clear the fog a little. I'm not anti RAW on any level. I simply have no particular need for it. I know a few old school tricks for torturing JPEG images. RAW format has its place, although it's become a subject of some pretty intense snobbery, over recent years. For the record, I also use PNG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, WMF, TGA, PSD, EPS, SCN and 3DS files when needed.

That being said.....Let's try to lift the veil a bit....LOL

RAW files are the digital equal of the old fashioned film / negatives. All of the information the camera / sensor  captured was stored on film / negative and the same is true with a digital RAW file. Today we don't have to convert the film content to a positive image, so that part of the process went to the scarp heap of history. We now have digital positives, right out of the camera. RAW files are the modern film. RAW post processing is designed to let you make some very effective but basic corrections to a photo, such as noise reduction, exposure, tone etc. This is accomplished in Affinity Photo within the "Develop Persona" which is where a RAW file first opens. When its "Developed," you click the apply button and the image opens in the Photo Persona.

Like the days of dark rooms, once the negative had been "developed" there were many archaic processes that skilled photographers practiced. They "masked off" some areas so they were protected from light while they blurred the focused and in general manipulated the image in any number of ways, Photo Persona is where you can achieve all sorts of black magic. Most users never do much more than scratch the surface of what is possible in this remarkable place. In effect it is just like the darkroom where those old guys did their magic.... but without the red light.

Now that you've gotten the final image to look as you want it, those previously mentioned save options come into play. You don't have to "Save" or "Save As" if you decide that you don't want any of those pesky reusable project files hanging about. However, I've never met any photographer who just tossed out those valuable developed negatives. Who knows... that Bride might just decide she wants a 11 x14 to go with her bridal package. This is why you save as and then save over and over again, as you work with those .afphoto files.

Everyone knows what a finished paper photo looks like. That was the only way they had to store a usable image so that everyone could hold and see it. Today, we "Export" images from AP into any of several image formats so that various browsers/viewers can display them.  We also have the option to print them, as well.

The absolute irony of all this is that after hammering on the image with the initial RAW editing tin he Develop Persona and fine tuning it inside the Photo Persona, getting everything possible from the image, we then convert it to a pixel crushing format like JPEG. Luckily, I like JPEG and I know how to work with them....LOL

TL:DR....
RAW = Film fresh from the camera
Developer Persona  = Dark Room where  negatives are developed and basic but very important adjustments are applied.
Photo Persona  = Think of it as the enlarger, where a photographer applied all the various tricks the negative in order to achieve visual effects
Save/save as  = Stores the developed negatives for future use
 Print /Export  = gives you the finished photo
No one looks at undeveloped Film (RAW) since it's not in an attractive user friendly format

Steve

Steve, Thanks for your time, consideration and explanations! 

My understanding is shooting raw takes more space, granted, but it provides more latitude in adjustments.

I do not understand what happens when my raw pix go to Develop Persona. Are they converted to jpeg? Do I lose the extra two stops either side of my original exposure? If I do not have the latitude because Affinity converts it, why shoot raw, or why use Affinity at all? Is all the material there just under a different name? I just want as much information to work with and if I have a lot from the camera and Affinity reduces it, then I am working with less than with what I started.

Nor do I understand when the Save As happens? My, possibly incorrect, understanding was to start with it, and to re name it in some manner, thus preserving the original?  This takes place at the beginning of the process, right?

Besides being very complicated learning how to even start this program, now I am confused by the whole raw conversion process in Developer, I had not even thought this would be a consideration, so I have to try and figure out now what this really means to me, or whether it is just a re naming process without losing anything...?

Cheers

Stuart

Hi SF,

Think of the RAW as your negative (digital negative). When you open a RAW image you'll find yourself in the Develop Persona. There you can make a variety of changes like for example adjust your exposure, and contrast. There's a lot more you do there but for this example those are simple. When you then click on Develop (upper left) you'll switch over to the Photo Persona. There you can get started into doing whatever manipulation you like. Your RAW image always remains untouched. The analogy might be to say you've projected your negative (RAW) onto a print paper (develop) and now in Photo you're starting to work on that print. Your RAW image stays where it was when you put it into your computer.

Now that you're in Photo persona any work you do will be saved onto a .afphoto file. If you decide to use Save As a window will ask you to confirm the file name and where you want it stored (first pic). On my example shot I selected Desktop. Put your image wherever makes sense to you. 

Start making any and all sorts of adjustments now and you'll get a feel for what Affinity Photo can do. When you've played enough you can Save your file again or delete it or export it as a jpeg, tiff or a variety of other formats. The important thing is that you can never alter your original RAW image. 

If your original was a jpeg, saving or 5a5d9c084906a_ScreenShot2018-01-15at8_24_51PM.png.91f08a3e60e7342a0dbcf26371f512d9.pngexporting it with a new name is a good idea if you want to keep your original as shot.

Another option you have when you open an image or develop a RAW is to select the Background image and duplicate it. The select your duplicate and do your work on it. Your original Background image will stay untouched.

If you work with a duplicate (CMD J will duplicate your layer) you can uncheck the original Background layer which will have the little lock icon on it and it'll remain unchanged by your edits (second pic).

I think you might find the tutorials by Drippy Cat and also Affinity Revolution will help get you started. It's a confusing process at first but I bet you'll be up and running quicker than you expect.

I hope this makes a bit of sense.

Ed

5a5d9bff57713_ScreenShot2018-01-15at8_32_35PM.png.2759084f329112920a4abf5ff022af34.png

SF...
You're definitely experiencing the fire hose effect that I mentioned. Too much information coming too fast into the confined space between your ears. It naturally creates a bit of an overload. I'll see if we can't break things into smaller bites.

"RAW" is really something you only want to think about in moments of truly extreme boredom. When you open your RAW image, it automatically pops up in the Develop Persona, where you make your initial important adjustments. Don't worry about trying to save a RAW file, mostly because the Develop Persona won't let you do it....(grin).  There isn't a save function anywhere in there. It's one sure way to prevent overwriting your one and only original image file. When you have completed the initial "developing ",  there is this nice big blue button, in the upper left corner of the tool bar, that you'll want  to click, This will bounce the photo on over to the Photo Persona. The Cancel button is pretty self explanatory.

The image is now where all the good tools are. This is when I do my first "Save As", in order to add the image to my "AF-Photos" folder. This establishes your file's .afphoto filename.  Now, all you need to do is click the SAVE option, every now and again. This also lets you avoid starting over from scratch, if things happen to go pear shaped on you. Your file image has now been mystically transmorgafied, through the dark arts of digital alchemy, into a magic .afphoto file.... (remember Yosemite.afphoto?). No... you haven't lost your hard earned 2 stops. They are still in there.  In fact, you're just about to begin adding even more neat stuff to the image, making it do any number of cool tricks.

If you insist on sweating the idea, think of the afphoto format as being a large manila envelop; the kind with those fun little bendy tabs for sealing it. This is where you put all the various bits and bobs you've added, before placing it into a drawer in you filing cabinet. When you reopen the drawer, your stuff is still right there waiting on you to come and paly.No one but we AP fans need ever know you have them on your computer.. We have AFphoto files and Photoshop has its PSD files.  Boxers vs Briefs.  AP will quite happily to chew on just about any sort of image file you might feed it. In fact, you really don't need to worry too much about it at all, if you make regular saves, as you're working along.

You've just made that last edit and your final save in the ,afphoto format is safely tucked away in its folder.  You've made the magic happen and it's time to share the results.  OK... NOW,  you get to think about format and you actually have to make some formatting choices. Whatcha wanna do now, coach?  You have lots of options. You can Export it into any of several file formats, supporting a wide range of requirements.

You can choose:
JPEG..... for on line use like sharing it on the forum,on a web page or in a photo gallery like IMgur.com.
PSD or EPS.... if you have any Adobe playmates.
TIFF...... if you're trying to meet CMYK press requirements.
PDF.......  if you're sending it to your cubicle mate at work.
Plus a few more

Did I mention you can also print it?  Heck... you can even take a phone photo of it, from on screen, if you can't wait to share it with your BFF. Go ahead and laugh, but it's happened to me a couple of times. (I do love my "out of the box" grand daughter)

It's all pretty confusing right now, but it quickly gets better as you go along.

Steve

Steve, and Ed, am sitting in your grand daughter's kindergarten class and they are all looking at me like I am a moron, "...what's wrong with this guy? doesn't he get it?..."

Lots of information, thanks again for your time and consideration. Since everything is now theoretical, much of the above will not make sense until I actually begin the process. The adjustment (of photos) process I feel will be relatively straightforward, learning location of tools, sliders, looking at brush options etc etc

But I do not yet get the entire raw transformation in Develop.

Understood that the original is and will stay in raw, but once it goes into Develop is anything at all lost in it quality? This is what I need to have answered please. If not, fine,  it is a renaming or something process but none of the ingredients are lost. Is this correct?

I just want to make sure ALL the raw information is transferred to Develop and I have the full amount of the raw info to use, no matter how it is termed.

If I do lose something going into Develop, then I either have to shoot a different way or use a another editing system.

I wish Affinity would clearly explain this, maybe they do and I have not seen it, but it seems like one of the most basic considerations to explain to beginners, again, thanks for your patience and sharing

Stuart

18 minutes ago, SF Charter Boat said:

If I do lose something going into Develop, then I either have to shoot a different way or use a another editing system.

You don't lose anything going into Develop, but you might (choose to) lose certain things coming out of it. It's analogous to the developer stage of processing film negatives, where variations such as timing will affect what you're able to do when making prints.

Alfred spacer.png

"might (choose to) lose certain things coming out of it"

your statement above

OK, rephrase my question, do I lose ANYTHING in any part of the process from my raw information  when I enter, process or leave Develop in 

Affinity?

Yes, if I export it to jpeg, got it, but my concern, which I have not understood the answer to, is during any part of using  Develop is my image  degraded, loses pixels, whatever? And if so, by how much?

thanks, Stuart

Hi SF!

Ive been following your questions with sympathy, since we all have been where you are at the moment! (By the way Cedge- great explanations for newbies.)

I have a few remarks which I hope will be useful:

When you open and 'play around' with a raw file, and then save it- as you already understood, it is automatically saved as a afphoto file, which can only be read by Affinity. If you havent changed the place for saving this file, it will be saved in the same folder where the original raw (NEF etc) file is situated. you will see the two files next to each other- the original raw file, untouched- and next to it the afphoto file, which now sports a purple Affinity logo on its icon. 

One thing to be careful of- is saving a JPEG after editing via Affinity. When trying to close this file via 'exit', or clicking on the little X on top right of image or trying to close Affinity, you will be prompted with something like this: "the *** file has been modified (IOW changes have been made to it). Document about to close - would you like to save your changes?" 

Choosing NO will cancel your editing that you just did. Original JPEG is unchanged.

BUT!!!! choosing YES will change the original image! And unless you have made a copy somewhere you have now no way to get back to the original JPEG.

The only way to save your edits and keep the original is to choose 'save as' via File tab (or control-shift-S). Now you will get an afphoto file with changes, next to the original, unchanged JPEG.

Hope this helped!

Rafi

SF
I can buy stereo equipment that can play sounds that I will simply never hear, in both the upper and lower octave ranges. I also own a camera that can capture far more detailed visual information than my old eyes will ever see.  Hold this thought in you head for a bit.

When you push the shutter button, ALL of the usable information your camera captures is recorded onto your memory card in RAW format, . When you transfer that information from your SD card, onto your computer, nothing is lost. When you open your RAW file in AP, it will automatically open in the Develop Persona part of the application. (This is just what Serif chose to call their RAW processor and nothing more.)  Again, nothing has been lost. The Develop Persona (RAW processor) is the ONLY place that AP can read, display and allow you to edit the information contained in your RAW file. The RAW file never actually changes because you can't save it, Saving it would make changes by overwriting the original RAW file. Basically all the RAW file does is deliver a COPY to the first section of your AP editing software.

You can make some limited adjustments to this image COPY while it's displayed within the confines of the Develop Persona. In some cases, your first edits in the Develop persona will be all that is needed. From there there it still has to go to a second editing application called the Photo Persona. This is where it takes on another format (.afphoto ) for any and all further fine tuning and manipulation. If you were using Adobe products, this would akin to opening the RAW file in Lightroom, making some initial adjustments and then transferring it over to Photoshop for fine tuning. Develop and Photo personas offer two distinctly different levels of image editing. Together, they give Affinity Photo a very powerful suite of capabilities.

My explanations, so far, have assumed that you will be going on to learn a bit more about this digital black magic, However, you could simply make a few changes to your image in the Develop persona (think Lightroom) and then transfer it over to the Photo Persona (think PhotoShop) for immediate printing or for export to other file formats . Not only can't you save a RAW file, you cant even print it from inside Develop Persona.  Once it's within the Photo Persona, you can also save the file as an .afphoto file, just for grins and giggles or maybe just in case you might need to make more future changes on top of those you've already made.  This is a good thing since you also might see a project come up that needs this very image to make it work. Having it saved in .afphoto format is how AP stores the edits you've made and allows it to reload all of them, ready to go to work once again. It's just an AP archive that can be created for your convenience.

OK... your RAW file still hasn't been changed anywhere along the way. It is sitting safely somewhere on your computer, completely unmolested. You now have a COPY of all of that information, active on screen, and sitting in the Photo Persona. (Again... this is simply what Serif chose to call their second tier image editor.) The only changes to this COPY, so far are the visual improvements you've made to it before it was handed from Develop Area to the Photo Area.

In the old fashioned dark room, you would have just turned on the red light, taken the film out of the little metal can and run it through the developing solutions to get the negative strips. Next,  you would  remove the negatives from the little clothes line and you lay them right next to the photo enlarger.  From here you could simply shine the light through the negative an make a  normal, possibly boring, photo positive for your local newspaper. (in AP this is where you can save the file in any of several formats or print it and choose to go on with life)  You haven't lost any significant information in this short and sweet scenario, at least until you export the image into its final form.

Now...  here is where real world collides with the theoretical one. I intentionally used the word "significant". Depending on how you made your edits in your initial meeting with the information COPY, you could conceivably lose some information, depending on how much you lightened or darkened, blurred or sharpened the image....etc. It's that sneaky old "every action has an equal opposite reaction" thing.... or perhaps the "there is no free lunch" saga. Remember the stereo that makes sounds that I can't  hear? Unless you've been ham handed with your initial adjustments, you're never going to see/notice what little is potentially missing. No amount of intense pixel peeking is going to let you nor me see it.

You can make all sorts of changes to the image while it's in the Photo Persona area, should you choose to, You can quite easily beat the image up in any number of ways that could potentially degrade the information. You can also make positive visual enhancements or manipulations, Either way, the original information is changed according to your directions.The information from that original RAW file will evolve under your steady hand and steely eye. If you displayed this modified image beside the unedited RAW original image, the RAW image would now. in most cases, appear barren  lifelessly bleak and dreary.

As i said before..... RAW is only food for intense thought if you just have nothing else in your life....(grin) The real fun is in the Photo Persona, with all of its marvelous tools. This can be thought of as where that old photographer guy would be blocking out light  (masking) and blurring or focusing things to his taste. before taking the photo paper to the developing fluids...  and that funky clothes line thing.

Bottom line is that you are way over thinking all of this, by a large measure. Sometime things just "are" and only require exercising a modicum of faith.

Steve

7 hours ago, Cedge said:

SF
Je peux acheter un équipement stéréo capable de jouer des sons que je n'entendrai jamais dans les plages d'octave supérieure et inférieure. ........
................En fin de compte, vous êtes loin de penser à tout cela, dans une large mesure. Parfois, les choses «sont» et n'exigent qu'un minimum de foi.
Steve

Bonjour.

Je suis responsable d'un forum photo amateurs et, je suis souvent amené à conseiller les débutants.

je salue votre patience et votre art de la didactique.

Ce contenu vaut un grand bravo. Félicitations.

SF...
This might help. I'm going to share a typical session "from soup to nuts" so you can see things unfold in my "normal" working order.

# 1 - Mom calls and says she wants me to create the world's best cat picture, just for her.

# 2 - I dig around and find my cat folder and see what just might be it. It's in RAW format, so It's dark, noisy and in no condition to share, but it's still my best cat image.

# 3 - I fire up AP and open it to FILE  - OPEN and then navigate my way over to the cat folder and click the worlds best cat image file.

# 4 - AP immediately knows it is a RAW file and immediately opens it in the Develop Persona.... (Jees Louise, who thought up that name?)

# 5 - I take that cat image and begin to massage it, pet it  and  generally give it some love. I dose it with some denoise filter, just to make the cat quieter, and a bit of basic stroking to make its fur shine. I even applied some levels, because mom likes black cats more than gray ones.

# 6 - The now silent shiny black cat is perfect for Mom, so I can click on the big blue APPLY button to take my cat over to the Photo Persona, where I can do any of several things to the little fellow. This is where we simply forget about that RAW file. That fat cat goes back to the cat folder for some milk and a long nap. We are now working with....... wait for it......... wait for it..... a COPY Cat....(evil grin)

# 7  I now do a FILE - SAVE AS to rename the little guy. I'm going to call him Dupli-Cat.afphoto and I make a place for him in my "affinity afphotos" folder.

# 8 - Just as I'm about to print Mom's cat, she calls again and tells me Dupli-cat needs a collar wnd that she's decided he has to have a bobbed tail.

# 9 - I grumble a bit and apologize to Dupli-Cat before doing a FILE SAVE to chronical his last moments with a tail, inside his .afphoto file. Call it a precaution, just in case he later demands his long black tail be reattached.

# 10 -  After a liberal application of numerous bandaids to me and  Dupli-Cat, he has no tail and we are no longer speaking. I export him into a  JPEG file format and send him off to Mom. She prints him out and I quickly get another cat call from her.

# 11 - She informs me that I've created a ............ Cat ass-trophe and says she and Dupli-Cat are demanding I fix the little monster. Soooo....it takes a few minutes, but she finally convinces her take on fixing the cat entails only the reattaching of his lost wag staff, and not mine, involving the removal of further cat bits.

# 12- I tell her to dumpster the current cat. I reopen Dupli-Cat.afphoto, putting a much happier shiny black cat back on screen. I send Mom her new Dupli-Cat.JPG, complete with cattail.  I then open a much deserved ice cold Swamp Rabbit beer and call it a day..

# 1 3 - I receive notification that I've won a really important and highly prestigious award for the cat-egory of "Mom's Best Son" . It ain't World Peace, but what did you expect? The worlds most perfect cat is still just a cat. Me?.....I got a happy Mom.

Sorry Mom... I forgot the flea collar.  Next Image project, please....

Steve

Hi All, With much gratitude for the time and explanations, wow, can't wait to get to a simple question with a simple answer. Will review all of the above once more, AND I found  Affinity tutorials on raw, which I will watch. There is no "Search" link  on the tutorials, WHY NOT? Moderators, does this not seem logical, can you please pass it on, reasonable to be able to look something up, maybe I missed an Index?

Nevertheless, I have my homework to do, and look forward to begin the process of adjustments

Great group on this Forum, thanks!

Stuart

Wikinger...
Je vous remercie pour vos aimables paroles. Avec un peu de travail, tout le monde peut apprendre ces arts sombres, il faut juste de la patience des deux parties. Pardonnez la traduction de Google, car mon français lycéen est oublié depuis longtemps. J'espère juste que Google ne m'a pas fait appeler votre soeur un tracteur, ou quelque chose .... LOL

Wikinger
Thank you for your kind words. With a little work anyone can learn these dark arts, It just takes some patience from both parties. Forgive the Google translation as my high school French is long forgotten. I just hope Google didn't make me call your sister a tractor, or something...LOL