You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Default Save As to Any Format

haakoo,

No one has taken over the post, it was in fact myself that went off on a tangent to prove a point about Serif. 'verysame' is spot on with what he's said too.

It's you that is at fault. Where do you get off telling what other users should or shouldn't do? Damn, you're such a control freak. Not to mention so misinformed.

You don't even read what others write before commenting. Love the sound of your own voice no doubt too?

Anyway I've had enough of this post, which is what I expect Serif hoped would happen. Licking Serif's boots won't do you or other users any favours. Damn I hate fanboys.

I'll check back in a year or so and I don't have to guess, I know, nothing will have changed, with the fandboys or Serif's business model.

Bye!

Let me get back to the original topic...

I'm just following this subject regarding the Save as to any format. BTW I immediately uninstalled AP upon discovering the same annoying Save/Export functionality as in GIMP.

In the last days I worked on many images and thought about the AP way, let me explain why is the worse one can imagine...

Opened many JPEG photos from stock agencies in PS. Make changes (crop, retouch, resize, etc.) and the I wanted to save the work in progress to a lossless format, like PNG or tiff. So I hit Save as, chose PNG and continue working until finished. Close, hit Save when asked - do the same 100 times a day.

What is the AP way, when in the middle of retouching I decide to save the original JPEG in PNG?

- Export to PNG - involves finding the original JPG's directory - f**k

- The Save command is still unavailable so further saves aren't possible, only exporting, which keeps asking if I overwrite the PNG - f**k

- So I decide to close the original JPEG file and find the exported PNG, open it, but this way I'm loosing all the undo states - f**k

- Saving the PNG keeps asking if I want to save in another format (if I remember correctly, now I don't have AP anymore, trial period over)

So, I'm asking

- Why is that people behind this software can't understand, what is a workflow of using efficiently their software?

- Why do some people insist that I'm losing data if I don't save in the app's native format, when 99.99% of the cases I don't lose everything because I'm not using layers, and other app-specific things...

- Why do we have to use the native format, when TIFF format is perfectly able to store app-specific things in custom tags - this is why it is called Tagged Image Format - create yur own tag and be happy with it; other apps can still read the flattened image data (standard tags) so compatibility is perfectly solved.

PS: AP native format isn't recognized by popular image viewers... You can imagine, working with several thousand photos would be a disaster...

19 minutes ago, Icefront said:

The Save command is still unavailable so further saves aren't possible, only exporting, which keeps asking if I overwrite the PNG - f**k

Either you're deliberately lying, or you do not know APhoto at all (but that does not seem to be an obstacle for you to write large-scale critical posts).

If you open non native image file format (jpg, png, tiff, ...), it is not problem normaly "Save" it.

Export is not needed at all, and you do not need to enter or change the file name. Simply just Ctrl + S.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Either you're deliberately lying, or you do not know APhoto at all

Clearly the latter, since @Icefront had only a miserably brief ten consecutive days to try it out.

29 minutes ago, Icefront said:

(if I remember correctly, now I don't have AP anymore, trial period over)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@haakoo

It seems my posts are being completely ignored.

Have you read what I wrote??? Did you take a look at the samples and the links I posted???

Do you remember that I tried to convince you to do your best using the tool at your disposal? And I proved it to you!

"As professional person is a person who knows the tools". Are you being serious here? I would take you on a tour in one of the studio where I work: I switch from blender 3d to Cinema 4d to after effects to zbrush, and do on so forth.

Seriously kiddo., I feel you're patronizing me here.

I have 20 years of experience in my job, I definitely don't need to respond to a random person on a forum and show what I produce and yet I did it.

Now, why don't you show us what marvelous are you capable of with affinity?

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

37 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Either you're deliberately lying, or you do not know APhoto at all (but that does not seem to be an obstacle for you to write large-scale critical posts).

If you open non native image file format (jpg, png, tiff, ...), it is not problem normaly "Save" it.

Export is not needed at all, and you do not need to enter or change the file name. Simply just Ctrl + S.

Being wrong with something means lying to you? No, dude, that is being wrong. Please select your words accordingly.

You just ignore the original problem and topic.

The current export-only way is WRONG.

If you like it use it. I'm done with this AP s***

33 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Clearly the latter, since @Icefront had only a miserably brief ten consecutive days to try it out.

No, I tried for several miserable hours.

When saw the export-only way, not I stopped but immediately uninstalled and wrote several topics in this forum.

Hey! There is no need to try more. When the creators will decide to make some changes I will continue trying AP

4 minutes ago, Icefront said:

Please select your words accordingly.

I tried to adapt to your post with some f**k.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

30 minutes ago, Icefront said:

When saw the export-only way, not I stopped but immediately uninstalled

Standard way (in APh) is:

- open *.jpg,

- save as to *.afphoto,

- work with all comfort (layers, filters, undo, etc.), multiply Ctrl+S save your work,

- if work finishing -> Export to desired format (png, tiff, ...).

If you no longer need it, you can delete afphoto file.

If you want to avoid native format at any cost (I do not know why, the file can always be deleted):

- if the file is not in a lossless format:

- open *.jpg,

- export to lossless format (png, tiff),

- close *.jpg,

- open *.png/tiff,

- work with certain limitations, multiply Ctrl+S save your work.

There is no need for repeated exports and rewriting files.

• 1 year later...

Well, I completely second those rooting for "saving as" for various reasons that don't need to be mentioned ...

The good news I have is that this is kinda possible with the new beta. Export the file first in TIFF with Affinity layers checked and open this file. Each command S you will do on this file will automatically save the TIFF even though the progress bar will say export.

I do not know if this works as well in other formats. However - don't get all giddy. PS will not open such TIFFS with layers. 

However, they will be displayed and editable in Lightroom Classic!

I originally supported the OP's proposal about Save As. However after a few months further use of Affinity Photo, I now find that Export just comes naturally. It really is just what you are used to. 

I have edited my original posting near the start of this thread.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 2 years later...

TLDR: I support this proposal to Save As to other formats, as well as the native format. This would provide a more efficient workflow for a good chunk of my job.

Please embrace a small paradigm shift and make it so.

Long version:

I also want to be able to Save As directly to PNG or other standard image formats, without using the Export dialogue. Especially in Affinity Photo, but this would also be useful in Designer (e.g. to save directly to PNG, SVG, etc.). Not so sure about Publisher, but there are some scenarios where this would be useful. I use all three products on Windows, and I the whole suite licensed for work and I have also bought the whole suite for myself for personal use (i.e. separate licenses).

I do not see how this could be objectionable, as many many other similar pieces of software have this functionality with Save As.

There are two main reasons, both of which slow down my workflow:

1) I do a lot of minor edits on screenshots to tidy them up (the Inpainting tool is my best friend), brought in with New From Clipboard. I don't need to save a whole .afphoto or .afdesign file to preserve the edits. I am well and truly experienced enough to decide when is a good time to preserve a file with the native format or when is a good time to do some quick and dirty edits and just save directly to PNG etc. I just want to hit Ctrl+S, give the file a name and move on. An extra inefficient bit comes when closing the file, as you get asked to save the changes (even though they are already saved with Export). This might not sound like much, but when you are working with 10s or 100s of screenshots, it very much adds up.

2) When you do Export for an <Untitled> file, exporting does not set the file name. For example, if you use New From Clipboard (from a screenshot or whatever), the file is <Untitled>. Let's say you do some minor edits and Export to PNG. Then you want some other minor tweaks and just want to overwrite with Ctrl+S - this does not work as the file is still <Untitled>. Instead, you have to Export again, and then pick out the file to overwrite (potentially error prone). There are, of course, other ways around this, but all of them need extra steps - hence the inefficient workflow.

What is frustrating is that you can open a PNG in Photo, make some edits and then hit Ctrl+S to save the changes. If you have layers, it just asks to flatten them. I just need that same functionality with <Untitled> files.

This DOES NOT make the Export dialogue redundant, but Export should be used when you want to do something different with the file. For example, save a different sized image to PNG, JPG, etc (I do this a lot), save as PNG or PDF without changing the file type on the working copy, etc.

Just to say, I find the software generally excellent, and I much prefer the Affinity suite to the equivalent bloated Adobe monoliths. Please keep the Affinity suite nice and clean and free of annoying things (like constantly running a background process all the time just to make sure the s/w is legit and the user hasn't cheated the license in the last 5 minutes or whatever - Adobe, I'm looking at you).