You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Destructive Cropping in designer

Hi!

Is there any way to do a destructive crop in AD?

Like if I have a bunch of vectors under a layer mask, could i "flatten" the mask to make the mask boundaries permanent in the vectors. This would also mean that any vectors that can't be seen due to the mask would be discarded.

• Staff

Hi iLLMonkey,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The only way to get what you want is to intersect a rectangle (what you are calling the mask) - using multiple copies of it as necessary - with each of the vector objects in your drawing (unless you don't mind to flatten them all into a single object through boolean operations as well).

@MEB, @stokerg, or anybody else, is there any reason you can think of that would make it logically infeasible to intersect a shape with a group layer, thus avoiding the need to duplicate the shape & apply it individually to each item in the group?

@iLLMonkey, if you do not mind my asking, why do you need to destructively crop a number of vector objects?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R I need destructive crop because file size is a factor. It's for a very specialized/niche purpose. Inside every mask there is very complex vectorart. It's easy to do in Illustrator, push of a button, but since illustrator is single-threaded it takes between 3-7 hours for it to compute depending on complexity.