You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Repeat in brush - bug?

Hello,

I have problem with vector brushes in Designer. Yesterday I created drawings and figures and in the morning I applied the "DAUB_VectorSet_Vol2" brush. Everything ok but in the afternoon I used same brush on other characters and everything is wrong. Setting is the same, the brush is the same. Same document size. But "repeat" is different every time.

A - OK
B - bad

I tried the Beta version, same problem.
How do I set the Repeat function for a vector brush? How do I set the number of reps?

brush.jpg

Hi, Jan,

I don't have the "DAUB_VectorSet_Vol2". I'll show an example later, using one of my own not good brushes that was supposed to look like a fireball.

There isn't any setting that I know of for how many repetitions. Rather, the number of repetitions are determined by an interplay between the point width of the stroke and the pixel width/length of the bit-map that is placed along the vector. Here's what I suppose. A thin stroke will take a broad bitmap, and shrink it both width and length wise. if the length of the bit map is not long enough, there will be a repeat. Inversely, if the stroke is wide enough, when the bit map is applied to the vector, it may be stretch the bitmap so that only a single repetition appears. See the example posted below. All are from the same bitmap turned to a textured image brush, but used with different brush size widths and/or stroke sizes. 

I'm unsure if using the brushes with a pressure sensitive tablet makes it even more complex.

Also, note that if the head and tail offsets are trimmed, the repeats may become close to continuous

VectorStrokes.thumb.jpg.8bbf7df020514e9c8f96ef3f21105a7d.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi gdenby,

thank you for your answer and help. I understand what you write. It is certainly so. But I have both drawings exactly the same. Same setting, same stroke width, same width of brush. Everything is the same. But the result is the one I sent.

I'm already so desperate to have edited and re-imported the brush. It's better, but it's not the same as making the first drawings.
I do not get it.

But anyway, thank you very much and hello from Central Europe :)

• Staff
12 hours ago, gdenby said:

There isn't any setting that I know of for how many repetitions. Rather, the number of repetitions are determined by an interplay between the point width of the stroke and the pixel width/length of the bit-map that is placed along the vector.

Yup thats correct on both points.

Very odd for the brush to start working differently if the settings are the same. I've just been playing with another vector brush and got the same results each time.  I'll find a copy of the DAUB_VectorSet_Vol2 brushes and see if it is a problem with the brush, but i would of expected this to have come up before now, which from a search of the forums and our fault logging system, it hasn't.

I think it's a bug. It's unpleasant.

All pictures (drawings) are created in the same document, with the same brush, with exactly the same settings, the same scale, the same size. Absolutely the same setting of everything.

I'm using Windows 10.

brush2.jpg

Does this coincide with the nodes at all?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm sorry, but I did not understand too much.

All "T-shirts" have the same number of nodes.

The first is a copy of the original (Ctrl + J) - Brush works just like yesterday. I can delete the brush, insert another and then the original one. It's always okay.
The other two are new "T-shirts", but they are similar. They are created exactly the same as the original. But the brush works quite differently. I can try anything, it's never the same result as the first "T-shirt".

brush3.jpg

Check the two new ones to make sure that, like the original or its copy, they are either all closed or all open shapes. (It is hard to tell the difference between a closed shape & an open one if the open one's start & end point are coincident.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In the stroke panel one T-shirt is set to Mitre 30 and the other is set to Mitre 1.5 that's the only difference I could find

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On January 17, 2018 at 0:22 PM, J a n said:

Hello,

I have problem with vector brushes in Designer. Yesterday I created drawings and figures and in the morning I applied the "DAUB_VectorSet_Vol2" brush. Everything ok but in the afternoon I used same brush on other characters and everything is wrong. Setting is the same, the brush is the same. Same document size. But "repeat" is different every time.

A - OK
B - bad

I tried the Beta version, same problem.
How do I set the Repeat function for a vector brush? How do I set the number of reps?

brush.jpg

If, on object A, you click "scale with object" in the stroke panel you will get the the result seen in B.

Which makes me think that object A was scaled up with "scale with object" UNchecked before applying the stroke and object B was created at size?

This at least recreates the issue and might get us closer to an answer (which in the end is probably.... bug).

@firstdefence: Yeah I saw that too. While I don't think its causing the difference it is interesting that it's there which would seem to indicate a different starting point and/or process of creation. Which is even weirder because @Jan specifically mentions that "they are created exactly the same as the original"....

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

In the stroke panel one T-shirt is set to Mitre 30 and the other is set to Mitre 1.5 that's the only difference I could find

That should not make any difference because "Join" in the Stroke panel is not set to use the miter join method. There are a few, mostly minor differences in the nodes -- select all 6 shapes with the Node Tool & select all the nodes to see them -- but that does not explain the difference in the repeats.

I think @JimmyJack is right about this having something to do with "Scale with Object."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That should not make any difference because "Join" in the Stroke panel is not set to use the miter join method. There are a few, mostly minor differences in the nodes -- select all 6 shapes with the Node Tool & select all the nodes to see them -- but that does not explain the difference in the repeats.

I think @JimmyJack is right about this having something to do with "Scale with Object."

Was just trying to find differences. I cannot replicate this issue on either my iMac or my partners windows 10 laptop, I did take a look at the scale with object but it made no difference when turned on or off and when scaling the t-shirt, so I kind of ruled that out.