You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

BTW the shown is no menu bar, it's instead a button bar (Affinity calls this symbol bar), there is quite a common difference between buttons and app/system menus.

In the English language versions, Affinity calls it simply the "Toolbar." See for example https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/interface.html & move the pointer that area. It also has that name in the English Views menu ("Show Toolbar") & in the contextual popup.

But whatever it is called, the circled item is a button. Do I get credit for getting that much right? xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's specific to Windows and can be used for both menu navigation and to launch commands. So you can use the letters to navigate menus/submenus (the letters are underlines when you press alt) and launch the commands themselves (which may also have a letter assigned when you press alt) or alternatively simply enter the command shortcut directly as on the Mac.

I am probably still misunderstanding something I should not, but I though he was talking about a method to display the keyboard shortcuts (so one did not have to remember what they were), rather than to navigate into a submenu & use them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

If you use the letters to open/navigate through the menus you don't have to remember the shortcuts. You can press the corresponding/underlined letters to open and launch the respective command without using the shortcut (but you still have to navigate through the menus to do it).

That's what @Pšenda suggested below.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

You do not need to remember keyboard shortcuts for menu navigation. When you press Alt, the appropriate letter is always displayed.

35 minutes ago, MEB said:

If you use the letters to open/navigate through the menus you don't have to remember the shortcuts.

But without opening a menu, where do you see the shortcuts for its submenu items? For example, say a Windows user has assigned shortcuts for several of the items on the Studio submenu of the View menu, like for showing or hiding some of the Studio panels. Without opening the View menu (via a shortcut or mouse click or whatever) where would that user see those shortcuts?

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

In the English language versions, Affinity calls it simply the "Toolbar." See for example https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/interface.html & move the pointer that area. It also has that name in the English Views menu ("Show Toolbar") & in the contextual popup.

But whatever it is called, the circled item is a button. Do I get credit for getting that much right? xD

One point deduction here, since all people know believe these are menu bars and even the A-devs have already started to try to put now menu entries on these. ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

But without opening a menu, where do you see the shortcuts for its submenu items? For example, say a Windows user has assigned shortcuts for several of the items on the Studio submenu of the View menu, like for showing or hiding some of the Studio panels. Without opening the View menu (via a shortcut or mouse click or whatever) where would that user see those shortcuts?

It is not classical shortcuts, it is keys for menu item manipulation without mouse.

Basic menu status.

2018-01-18_001351.png.dab3cf00f05c447e973b9fe18840c283.png

Menu after "Alt" key pressing - highlighted letters in menu item names (therefore nothing has to be remembered), which is used to select the appropriate menu item.

2018-01-18_001531.png.6a56b163548104e895b4bb0b53d7a30d.png

Menu after "v" key pressing - the View menu is expanded, and highlighted letters in yours menu item names, which is used to select the appropriate menu item.

2018-01-18_002233.png.75d8349dd4af900f91a0093e26d0b76a.png

And so on until the required item is selected. Just as you would when selecting the mouse, it's enough to just click one finger.

Moving in menu item structure is possible also with arrow key and Enter.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

29 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

It is not classical shortcuts, it is keys for menu item manipulation without mouse.

Thanks for the explanation but it is no different from how I thought it worked, that being that the menu still has to be opened (or expanded, if you prefer) before the shortcut keys are visible for its items, & so on for any items on submenus for items that have them. I apologize if I did not make that clear.

BTW, on Macs there is no equivalent for opening/expanding a top level menu like the Layer or View ones, but once open the arrow keys can be used in a similar way to navigate & select menu & submenu items. I don't think many Mac users use that feature since we still have to get the top level menu open before it can be used.

Affinity Photo