You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You are correct MEB - I seem to have discovered the known bug that allows me to select items on the canvas from a locked layer. Looking forward to the bug fix - thanks.

Any chance you could add "Select same..." functionality at the same time? With these two issues resolved, I would sing a song of praise to Affinity Designer. Shall I begin writing lyrics?

1 hour ago, IanSG said:

The addition of a lock feature that does what you're asking for has also been requested.

For example this:

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Very concerning to me that the bug fix and feature request issues I've stumbled on after a few days of testing Affinity Designer have been known issues for years. As tests of customer service and product quality, this is completely unacceptable. 

Affinity Designer is a good product and oh-so-close to being excellent.

• Staff

Hi Josh Neufeld,
The bug (select locked objects on canvas with a marquee) is quite recent - this was working fine in the previous 1.7 version. The ability to edit locked layers if selected from the Layers panel is by design as explained above. Regarding the feature requests we are adding them whenever they make sense and are possible in the current app state. Some may require more underlaying work or changes to the existing code that may take time to implement. We also have limited time and resources so we have to balance them with bug fixing, new planed features etc. We are doing the best we can with the resources we have. By now, almost every possible feature was already requested in the forums, with quite a few on the first couple of years after the program's release.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Currently there's a known bug that allows to select locked layers if you draw a marquee to select them on canvas. This is being looked at.

Ahah, I was just noticing this problem this afternoon working on a big multi-layered vector file, trying to delete some areas from one layer using the marquee. Glad this has already been caught, looking forward to the fix. Thanks! ❤️

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

I am working the workbook and am into layers; there are a few problems-- -- 

1. Layers are sometimes disappearing when I drag them with the move tool. 
2. Layers will not unlock after being joined.
3. Layers will not lock, never and no matter what, To my knowledge there are two ways to do it: 1 select the layer and click on the padlock or 2, highlight the layer, go to the layers menu and select lock.

Neither works, basically nothing is reliable in terms of moving and locking layers. Yes, I do see the padlock icon within the layer, but it moves and I cannot make it stick, layers disappear as if deleted when attempting to move and I cannot break up co-joined layers.

Hope you can help, thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Able to select Locked Layers using Marquee Selection) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon