You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, OSP said:

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but it seems the most relevant to my question. I'm trying to do something similar to NBG above, but with a slight difference. I have a logo using a font that has a particular kind of distressed look built in (Hanley rough script). The squiggles that make up the distressed look are 'subtracted' from the font, leaving a transparent background. I've added a swash underneath, which is just a typed letter from another font (Hanley swashes). I want to recreate the distressed look from the rough script font on the swash. I would also like to be able to type onto the swash (it's enlarged quite a bit) with the rough script font, leaving a negative (transparent) background.

Is there some way to make a selection from one of the rough script letters (maybe the selection brush tool?) in order to copy the distressed look, and then fill the shape of the swash? What would I need to do to the swash first in order to just keep its shape?

I'm a complete newbie so apologies if this is all very basic stuff!

Many thanks,

Alan 

You might be best served by using the pen or pencil tool to hand draw your distressed swash (trace over it). You would need to use a subtract operation for removing bits from inside the swatch.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.