You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

i made a logo with that common "distressed" style:

Zwischenablage01.thumb.jpg.3449cd701efcc362990d29d1b8fde915.jpg

What it i did already:

1) Converted text to curves (grouped)

2) Put that distressed bitmap on top (rasterized)

3) Set the mixing of the source to zero

Ok looks nice so far... but this image must be screen printed (everthing converted to curves and deliverd as PDF file).

So how can i "cut of" the (now) white spaces out of the letters?

So the printer should not get the curved letters and a image on top, he should get only the curved (distressed) letters.

Any ideas? Maybe masks?

Thanks!

NBG

diss.afdesign

I can suggest a very easy method.  No need to convert the text to curves or do anything difficult.

If the bitmap layer is black and white, (using the black as the distressing or "erasing" bit for the letters) first of all turn the white into transparent. 

distress.jpg.50537ebcc1bf9ec0034110a4c4d5baf7.jpg

It the Pixel Persona, Go Select > Tonal Range > Highlights and press the Delete key to erase the white,

Set the Layer Blend Mode of the image to "Erase" and the black will cut out the letters.

layers.jpg.fdcfca6f086c732c23a241b9fa6b8916.jpg

abc.jpg.6646a2726a03e60e5f69622e1af1a83f.jpg

Supply the screen printer with a JPEG or PDF file.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi toltec,

yes this works also but there is still an image in top of the curved letters.

Is there no way to *real* cut out the "erasing bits" out of the letters?

What about not-rasterizing the image but converting it to curves and the "merge" it with the letters to make a real cut out? Not just an temp effect on top of the letters?

Thanks,

NBG

Why bother ?

If you are getting it silk screened, just output as a single reasonably high resolution JPEG file, Why do you want curves ? The end result would almost certainly be worse, even if you spent hours on it. And why spend hours when you can do it in seconds ?

I worked commercially with silk screen printers for years, and the typical resolution at 55 lines per inch does not warrant anything better than a decent JPEG. Silk screen meshes are simply not good enough.

Different if you were getting it embroidered or cut out of vinyl. 

To do a decent job, yes.

If your printer isn't up to doing that sort of dead simple job from a JPEG, I would find a new printer. Seriously. I know dozens of silk screen printers locally who could have printed that by now. :D

Life is too short, still, it's your life ;)

And supplying an image with curves is far more prone to error than a black and white bitmap. So I'm afraid I can't agree with your no mistakes statement, respectfully.

Sorry, but after 30 years in the print trade, I don't like poor service from some so called print professionals. 

You will just have to work at as large a size as possible and draw the lines by hand. An awful lot of work and I am not sure about the final quality, although I guess that depends on you. 

Because of the potential for it to go wrong, I highly recommend you get a proof made before printing. As you pointed out in your other post, lines have thickness issues that pixels don't.

Good luck.

Are you sure you need artwork all vector? Distressed effect converts very badly to vector shapes. If you must you can use some vectorizer software to convert but shapes will be something else you see in AD as the will be simplified.

Usually screen printers can take 1-bit bitmap files as easily. Of course exporting to 1-bit is tricky when using Affinity software.

Besides "why you need this?", I wanted to point out the answer to the OP: Affinity does not provide the feature to turn any pixel image into curves or vectors. It can only go the other way. If one has a distressed mask in curves to start with, one can do the cutting out you are looking for.

1 hour ago, toth said:

I have no idea if this site is safe or not ...

Freepic.com is a reputable site that to my knowledge has never included any malware in its downloads or done anything else that would make it unsafe to use as a source for files. Just make sure you understand & follow the usage guidelines about attributions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi NBG,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

As toth and shojtsy suggested you can use a vector based distressed "texture" to achieve what you want. Just place it over the text , select both objects and perform a subtract boolean operation. Depending on the complexity (nodes) of the texture the operation may take some time. You can also convert the text to curves and perform the subtract operation with each letter individually if needed to make the operation less heavy. As mentioned too, when converted to vectors some pixel/raster based textures may look more artificial (depending on their scale/detail) so i suggest you experiment with a few different ones (using the Erase blend mode for quick checks) before committing to a definite solution.

• The text you turned into curves, select all of the letters and then under Operations choose Add this makes handles all those layers much easier
  • Next duplicate the Added together text curves layer and drag it above the image used for distressing.
  • Right click on the Added together text curves layer and choose Mask To Below

What you end up with is the file below, I added the orange rectangle to highlight what is happening with the white distressed layer in the shape of the lettering.

5a5f5d3c56016_Distressedlettering1.png.54668c6269c616afd98fde82b6c5b671.png

5a5f5d3cd312e_Distressedlettering2.png.94a98f9e2593eddc547803c342a52dfa.png

diss mask to below.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 hours ago, firstdefence said:
  • The text you turned into curves, select all of the letters and then under Operations choose Add this makes handles all those layers much easier
  • Next duplicate the Added together text curves layer and drag it above the image used for distressing.
  • Right click on the Added together text curves layer and choose Mask To Below

What you end up with is the file below, I added the orange rectangle to highlight what is happening with the white distressed layer in the shape of the lettering.

Hi firstdefence,

yes your way works also but the export as PDF faces "rasterising" too :(

scr.png.ef490717975a5f0245f1327266f0845b.png

On 17.1.2018 at 0:39 PM, MEB said:

... you can use a vector based distressed "texture" to achieve what you want. Just place it over the text , select both objects and perform a subtract boolean operation. Depending on the complexity (nodes) of the texture the operation may take some time.

But what is the difference between an imported vector texture AND a "converted to curves"-image?

Where do i "perfom a substact op"?

What worked for me is:

1) Vectorize an texture to 2 colors, only export the white color (lines) and the black ones are transparent

2) Put this .svg-file on top of the curved letters.

3). Export as PDF (no rasterizing)

8 minutes ago, NBG said:

But what is the difference between an imported vector texture AND a "converted to curves"-image?

A vector texture (whether created from scratch or imported) consists entirely of vector shapes with solid or gradient fills. When you 'convert to curves' an image, you get a rectangle with a bitmap fill.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi NBG,

If you drag the SVG file to the canvas it will be placed as an embedded document (as you can see from the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel) which cannot be "merged" through a boolean operation with the letters because you don't have direct access to the contents of the embedded file (in this case the texture).

First you need to convert  all the texture elements into a single object:

- go to menu File ▸ Open and select the svg file

- select all objects inside the layer101 (or drag a marquee slection around the canvas to select them all)

- go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Add

You have flattened the texture elements into a single object

- open the letters document

- copy the single texture object you just created from the svg document (menu Edit ▸ Copy) and place it over the letters (its layer must be above the text layer in the Layers panel) - adjust the texture scale and position to get the effect you want 

- now select both the texture object and the letters and go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Subtract

You should end up with just a single object - the letters with the texture removed/cut out from them - all vector.

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi NBG,

If you drag the SVG file to the canvas it will be placed as an embedded document (as you can see from the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel) which cannot be "merged" through a boolean operation with the letters because you don't have direct access to the contents of the embedded file (in this case the texture).

First you need to convert  all the texture elements into a single object:

Great, this is really *the* solution! Many many thanks! 9_9 Send me your address and i'll send you some beer!

Is there a way to save and "import" such objects?

Or do i have to create my own collection (in every layer a different texture vector layer saved in an single .afdesign-file) and drag them into another window with the letters?

• Staff

If you want to keep the texture for later re-use you can add it to the Assets panel. Select it, open the Assets panel (menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Assets), create a new category (if necessary) clicking on the small menu icon on the top right of the Assets panel and selecting Create New Category.... Then with the texture object select click the small menu icon on the top right of the category you just created and select Add from selection.

To use it, drag it from the Assets panel to whatever document you need.

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

I know this is an old thread, but it seems the most relevant to my question. I'm trying to do something similar to NBG above, but with a slight difference. I have a logo using a font that has a particular kind of distressed look built in (Hanley rough script). The squiggles that make up the distressed look are 'subtracted' from the font, leaving a transparent background. I've added a swash underneath, which is just a typed letter from another font (Hanley swashes). I want to recreate the distressed look from the rough script font on the swash. I would also like to be able to type onto the swash (it's enlarged quite a bit) with the rough script font, leaving a negative (transparent) background.

Is there some way to make a selection from one of the rough script letters (maybe the selection brush tool?) in order to copy the distressed look, and then fill the shape of the swash? What would I need to do to the swash first in order to just keep its shape?

I'm a complete newbie so apologies if this is all very basic stuff!

Many thanks,

Alan