You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having got the Photo Work Book, I started to go through it and hit a problem with Masking adjustment layer. All went well until I tried using the Brush, everything operation was checked several times. Re-installed Affinity Photo issue still present. Downloaded a trial version and problem went away. How can I download a fresh non trial version?

1 hour ago, Geoff Clinton said:

Having got the Photo Work Book, I started to go through it and hit a problem with Masking adjustment layer.

It is going to be just about impossible to help you resolve this unless at the very least you tell us what the problem is!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Geoff Clinton,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Did you set the colour of the brush correctly? If you paint with black it conceals the effects of the adjustment. If you paint with White it reveals the effects of the adjustment. So a fully white adjustment mask will affect the whole image. A fully black adjustment mask will hide the effect of the adjustments as if it was never applied. Also make sure that you have the adjustments layer selected/highlighted in the Layers panel while you use the Paint Brush Tool. Without more details it's difficult to help you further.

The problem is on page 116 of the Affinity Work book. Manipulating an adjustment layer. Everything is fine until I try to paint over a selected area, the adjustment layer has been selected, as has white has been selected but nothing happens. So I reinstalled Affinity Photo version 1.6.1.93 and the problem was not resolved. So I next downloaded a trial version and now everything is resolved. No Idea why the file is in some way corrupted but as with everything Microsoft anything can happen. So I am happy the problem is with my original copy of Affinity Photo

The problem I have is how do I get a new copy of Affinity Photo without having to buy another copy. If it is simply putting in the key when the 10 day trial expires that's easy, but will I get a message back saying "You already have used that Key". I have looked every where on Affinity web site but the only download is the 10 day trial.

What are the Opacity, Hardness and Flow settings displayed on the Context toolbar when you’re trying to paint?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Geoff Clinton said:

The problem is on page 116 of the Affinity Work book. Manipulating an adjustment layer. Everything is fine until I try to paint over a selected area, the adjustment layer has been selected, as has white has been selected but nothing happens.

Are you using the masking_adjustment.jpg file you can download to use with the Workbook examples or some other file? Did you remember to do step 4 to invert the adjustment layer's mask so that prior to step 5 the adjustment has no effect?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The answer to both previous replies is yes I did every thing as per page 116. I have again reinstalled my copy of Affinity, but again it does not work as I previously described, whilst a trial copy just downloaded   does. This leads me to believe that in some way my copy has a corruption that produces the problem. This is why I am trying to find a way to get a new non trial copy.

Try clearing your user data. Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard, hold it down while you launch Affinity Photo, and continue to hold it down until the 'Clear User Data' dialog appears. Normally it isn't a good idea to clear everything, because you'll lose things like brushes you've imported and macros you've painstakingly recorded, but since you've only just started using the program you can safely press the 'Select All' button before pressing 'Clear'. Beta versions have separate settings from the retail version, so I expect that the trial version also has separate settings (which would explain why one works but the other doesn't); reinstallation on its own doesn't affect these settings.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)