Hi,

I am learning affinity designer - a very good program!

Now my current lesson is "protocol".

My question:

I found no possibility that I repeat the protocal commands automatically - like macro-function at other apps

Is this not a concept in affinity?

thanks michael

I am not exactly sure about what kind of protocol commands you want to repeat automatically, but are you familiar with the 'Power Duplicate' function of Affinity Designer?

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Hi mimuel,

2 hours ago, mimuel said:

like macro-function at other apps

We don't have macros in Designer (we do in Photo).  As R C-R has suggested power duplicate may do what you are looking to do.

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not exactly sure about what kind of protocol commands you want to repeat automatically

I think the OP wants to repeat commands recorded in the History panel.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I think the OP wants to repeat commands recorded in the History panel.

Do you think he means like repeating just the last command, the last several, or something else?

Regardless, I find it difficult to see how this would work, except maybe for a few special circumstances. Every command must have a clearly defined target object for the command to be applied to. So for example, let's say the last several commands targeted a shape object like a cog or one of the star types & adjusted one or more properties unique to that shape type, like the curvature of a cog's teeth or the outer circle parameter of a star. Even assuming there could be some (automatic?) way provided to repeat that group of commands on some other selected object, there is no guarantee that the that object would have the same or similar adjustable properties.

As you know, as it is the macro function in Affinity Photo is quite limited. There are a few ways provided to select a target but none that can select a specific type of object. So for example you can record a macro that adjusts the properties of a star object, which works fine on other star objects, but does nothing when run on other object types. I think for what the OP & many others (myself included) would like a macro to be capable of doing requires what amounts to a macro programming language, complete with variables, conditionals, error handling, & such.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do you think he means like repeating just the last command, the last several, or something else?

Yes. :P

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Mimuel should clarify what he wants to do exactly as he may be able to do it by Copying and Pasting Styles or Pasting Effects or by using Symbols, etc

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

38 minutes ago, Alfred said:
49 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yes. :P

Thank you for clearing that up! xD

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Thank you for clearing that up! xD

You're very welcome! :D

Alfred online2long.gif