You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotating an object and then changing its height

Hey guys,

So, when creating an object, the rotation handler is on the top of the object. If I rotate the object 90 degrees CW for example, the rotation handler will be on the left. Now if I want to change the height of the object, after the rotation, I will actually change the width of the object. Is there a way to reset the rotation handler to the top?

Thank you :)

After rotating the box 90° click that toolbar button shown below:

click_that.jpg.4c7cb18655d8281b4c41871fc4eca749.jpg

This will rearrange the selection handles and put the rotation one again on top then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I believe this is intentionally right, since the object has been altered (rotated) and now is in rotated state. So the handle placement also shows you that it is rotated and the reset selection box is here just a momentary switch (a help aid) to grab that handle from top instead of the side.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Additionally, the selection resets and un-resets each time you press that button while the object is selected. It does either or.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

You could be interested.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

10 hours ago, chris.bannu said:

Now if I want to change the height of the object, after the rotation, I will actually change the width of the object.

As mentioned in the linked article, it is probably best to think of it sort of like a real physical object, for example a sheet of paper or a book laying on a desk: if you rotate it, its height & width do not change, only its angle relative to the desk.

Or maybe more to the point, consider the general case of rotating graphic objects by an arbitrary amount, like something other that 90°, or around an arbitrary rotation center that might even be outside the object. Also consider nested & grouped objects; vector objects that have internally referenced angular parameters like the start & end angles of objects made with the Pie Tool; or maybe most important of all, text objects, which have a number of properties based on their intrinsic width & height, independent of how much they are rotated.

The attached Bunch o' shapes.afdesign is an example of what I mean. Imagine how confusing it could get if each object, group, child layer, etc. did not retain its intrinsic width & height properties regardless of its rotation.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

As mentioned in the linked article, it is probably best to think of it sort of like a real physical object, for example a sheet of paper or a book laying on a desk: if you rotate it, its height & width do not change, only its angle relative to the desk.

Or maybe more to the point, consider the general case of rotating graphic objects by an arbitrary amount, like something other that 90°, or around an arbitrary rotation center that might even be outside the object. Also consider nested & grouped objects; vector objects that have internally referenced angular parameters like the start & end angles of objects made with the Pie Tool; or maybe most important of all, text objects, which have a number of properties based on their intrinsic width & height, independent of how much they are rotated.

The attached Bunch o' shapes.afdesign is an example of what I mean. Imagine how confusing it could get if each object, group, child layer, etc. did not retain its intrinsic width & height properties regardless of its rotation.

Yeah I totally agree.

16 hours ago, chris.bannu said:

....Is there a way to reset the rotation handler to the top?

Thank you :)

Yes.

Draw a shape that's bigger than your object. Select both and Boolean Intersect.

The resulting object is now in the "upright" position.... until the next rotate ;).

two caveats:

This bakes in any shape variables. i.e. #of star points, or radii etc.

The reset now uses the dimensions of the bounding box not the actual object. Fine, perhaps, for something rotated 90°.

But, for example, if you have a tall rectangle rotated 45°, the procedure will give you an object with square dimensions. But the handle will be up :D.

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

best to think of it sort of like a real physical object

My height is 192 cm. When I stand, and even if I lie in bed :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

My height is 192 cm. When I stand, and even if I lie in bed :-)

When you stand up after lying in bed for a long time, you will be taller. But not much taller, and only for a little while. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 years later...
On 1/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, Alfred said:

When you stand up after lying in bed for a long time, you will be taller. But not much taller, and only for a little while. :)

1. Always love coming here and finding an answer I really need, even years after the thread happened. Thank you, @v_kyr

2. Re: @Alfred's comment: depends on how long. My wife was in hospital for 4 months, flat on her back the whole time. She came home 1" taller, and remains so 15 years later. (Which makes her 1" taller than me instead of exactly the same height, as when we married.)

But perhaps my personal life is just slightly off-topic here ;)