Hello Affinity fans :)

Today I drawn flamingos, interesting long-legged birds.

I have made not use of textures, patterns, pixel layers or brushes, I just wanted a very simple illustration, just shapes, pen and gradients.

Give a look at the illustration, drawn in Affinity Designer and tell me what do you think, leave your feed backs, write positive and negative :)

The full project here on behance

flamingos1.jpg

It looks very like a piece of marquetry, with the simple shapes and -- especially -- the colours. Nice composition too.
Sorry Francky -- I can't think of anything negative to say about it!

I agree with Kasper-V. The colours, composition and level of detail are great. It's also very nice that you have taken the time to make all of the birds different, rather than just making copies.

The only thing I would add is that it might be better if the clouds tapered to a point at the bottom of one side to make it look like they are being pushed along by the wind, rather than just being static. I think that would add a little more "movement" to the image.

As an extra added detail, you could try and find out whether flamingos would - or would not - fly into the wind as that could tell you which side of the clouds to taper (tapering the side into the wind).

All-in-all though, nice work.

I agree with @Kasper-V that it looks like a piece of marquetry and I can’t find anything negative to say about it. I don’t agree with @GarryP (sorry, Garry!) about adding movement by tapering the clouds; for me, those lovely flamingos give the image all the movement it needs.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

No worries @Alfred  I've just done a very quick and crude mock-up for myself (see attached) and I'm not convinced that it would add much either now but maybe that's just my lack of illustration skills. @Francky will be able to do something much better than me but if they don't look right it could spoil the whole thing so it could be best to keep it as is.

crudeclouds.JPG

8 hours ago, GarryP said:

I agree with Kasper-V. The colours, composition and level of detail are great. It's also very nice that you have taken the time to make all of the birds different, rather than just making copies.

The only thing I would add is that it might be better if the clouds tapered to a point at the bottom of one side to make it look like they are being pushed along by the wind, rather than just being static. I think that would add a little more "movement" to the image.

As an extra added detail, you could try and find out whether flamingos would - or would not - fly into the wind as that could tell you which side of the clouds to taper (tapering the side into the wind).

All-in-all though, nice work.

Wow GarryP :) thank You for the very nice suggestions!

I will use your idea in next illustrations :)

20 hours ago, Kasper-V said:

It looks very like a piece of marquetry, with the simple shapes and -- especially -- the colours. Nice composition too.
Sorry Francky -- I can't think of anything negative to say about it!

Thank You Kaspev-V :)

Your feed backs are very very important, which are telling me the direction for next works, what to do better :)

8 hours ago, Alfred said:

I agree with @Kasper-V that it looks like a piece of marquetry and I can’t find anything negative to say about it. I don’t agree with @GarryP (sorry, Garry!) about adding movement by tapering the clouds; for me, those lovely flamingos give the image all the movement it needs.

Thank You for your feed back Alfred :)

However gusto apart, moving clouds or static ones, all your feed backs are teaching how do better illustrations :)

Thank You :) !!

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

No worries @Alfred  I've just done a very quick and crude mock-up for myself (see attached) and I'm not convinced that it would add much either now but maybe that's just my lack of illustration skills. @Francky will be able to do something much better than me but if they don't look right it could spoil the whole thing so it could be best to keep it as is.

crudeclouds.JPG

Thank You for the demo, I get your idea now :)

That would really depend on whether you're making them or wanting them.
In other words, do you want suggestions on how to make quality wallpapers or do you want suggestions on where to get them?