You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A.D. 1.6.3.98 act slow with multi shapes

Will be great if Affinity Designer work faster when I use multi shapes. I create a document with multi artboards, dimension A3. After I design the background with plus (+) sign, AD  began to slow down, lag 5-6 seconds when paste a shape to another artboard and freeze. I use Windows 10 16299, i73770, Intel Graphics 4000, 120 GB SSD. Can someone tell me some tips, to make AD faster despite of multi repeated shapes, to continous my work? By the way if i buy an Nvidia card 1060, will the app work faster and smoother?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure I fully understand about your background design with '+', perhaps you could post a screenshot or attach an example file.

My interpretation was to make a grid using 3400 plusses '+' and copying and pasting between four A3 Artboards but couldn't induce a lag, although the CPU usage did increase somewhat! (I've got a much lower spec PC than yours).

Sometimes I find grouping multiple objects together and locking (background) layers can help speed things up.

a3-artboard.png

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

I cannot work anymore with the file, result a 5-7 second delay only to copy a group to another artboard and then freeze . I reset AD and open again the file but same result. Please have a look at the gif. Before I create the `+` as the background on every artboard AD was fast and smooth. Any way thanks for the reply.

20180123_194552.gif

• Staff

Hi adirusf,

Unfortunately it looks like you are pushing the boundaries of what can be handled here:

For example on a single page you have 137 Groups of these + objects. Inside each group is a 180 Double Arrow shapes. This means that for every artboard you have 24,660 objects! If you then multiply that by the amount of artboards you have that gives you a staggering 320,580 objects!!!

The only things I can suggest is that you either:

1. Hide the background layer until you're ready for exporting

2. Duplicate the layer, hide it and then rasterise the duplicated layer. This way you can still modify them should you change your mind and then reduplicate and rasterize.

3. Alternatively you could use a high resolution image of a single + and then use the Fill Tool to fill a single shape. Whilst they will still be raster, they will be of high quality.

Sean P, thanks for your advices. I start again the background design, I took your second suggestion and I put all the "+" in a single layer (I checked force pixel alignment before creating the shape "+"), duplicate the layer then rasterise the duplicated layer. Thanks a lot!

I dont know what I am doing wrong. The layer that I created have "+" copied on equal distance (I turn ON "Pixel view mode" with "Force pixel alignment" = ON and with  "Move by the whole pixel"  = OFF. ) after that I rasterised the duplicate layer. Now, at a closer look I see that some pixels are very blurry.  I think that all the pixels should be the same, right?

20180124_214715.mp4

Problem solved by uncheck Snapping while copy the "+" on equal distance with  "Force pixel alignment" = ON and with  "Move by the whole pixel"  = OFF. )

Now the pixel layer has no blurry.

• Staff
14 hours ago, adirusf said:

I dont know what I am doing wrong. The layer that I created have "+" copied on equal distance (I turn ON "Pixel view mode" with "Force pixel alignment" = ON and with  "Move by the whole pixel"  = OFF. ) after that I rasterised the duplicate layer. Now, at a closer look I see that some pixels are very blurry.  I think that all the pixels should be the same, right?

20180124_214715.mp4

Problem solved by uncheck Snapping while copy the "+" on equal distance with  "Force pixel alignment" = ON and with  "Move by the whole pixel"  = OFF. )

Now the pixel layer has no blurry.

Glad you've sorted it out, it did look like some had gone off pixel, but was hard to see!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.