RainFlow

24 minutes start-up time (world record?) -SOLVED-

Hi folks,

AF Photo has never been the fastest one at start-up. Usually it took my machine around 30 seconds to load AF. But since updating* to the latest version it's 24 minutes. Usually I would have killed the start-up hang in the task manager but coincidentally I've let it doodle and -voilà!- AF showed up after the mentioned time. There's definitely something wrong here. Tried a fresh install, tried the beta, nothing helped. Any hints? I'd also appreciate to be able to download the recent (prior) version to check if the delay disappears when switching back to an earlier version. Unfortunately I've deleted the older setup file.

*I've also updated to the Creator version of Win10 recently. Hopefully it's not the reason for this strange problem...

My system specs: Intel i7-4790K / 32GB RAM / WIN 10 Home (64bit) /  SSD 960 PRO

Hi MEB,

thank you for taking your time. Unfortunately it didn't help (the dialog appeared, though, and furthermore in no time, at least this is working well).

I've made a screenshot of another observation during the loading process: First, the splash screen shows its common look (being an alpha masked image) but after approx. 1/3 of the loading time this black background shows up. Still, it takes way more than 20min for AF to eventually load:

2018-01-1412_37_03-igkzs.png

I've tried to get rid of this splash screen by de-activating the 'help-window' (or whatever it is) during earlier attempts, read: unchecked the option after successful loading. Nothing changed. :-/

Really strange thing, that is.

Add: Could be the right path to a solution, because the font manager I've loaded to check the number of installed fonts is also working ('hanging') longer than it used to...

I'll try with a minimal setup and let you know what happens.

Approx. 10 minutes for the Fontmanager to list all fonts. That's hopefully a sign. Have the same config on another and much more weak machine (OS: Win7) but do not experience a similar prob there.

Curious what will happen... 

If you have close to twelve thousand fonts installed, it’s going to slow things down considerably. Use your font manager to uninstall all but a few hundred of them (obviously keeping the Windows core fonts installed!) and then load other fonts only when you need them. Affinity Photo will update its font cache automatically, but you will probably have to close and reopen any documents that use fonts which were not loaded when you launched the program.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.0.35 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Actually it should not slow down that much.

The luxury of 32GB RAM (12GB on the other machine) is made for this kind of comfortable waste. At least I never experienced a similar disadvantage to date and that's why I never refrained from loading that much fonts on starting the OS. I simply never had problems because of doing so.

But, as I said, let's wait for the new tests. The font manager is still struggling to and working on deinstall(ing) the fonts which indicates that the problem may have been identified. :)

5 minutes ago, RainFlow said:

Actually it should not slow down that much.

Perhaps it shouldn’t, in theory, but in practice it does! The Affinity apps enumerate the installed/loaded fonts at startup, so a long list is obviously going to take longer to process than a short one. In normal use you won’t be using more than three or four different fonts in any one project (I hope!) and you won’t have hundreds of projects open at the same time, so there’s no real need to have thousands of fonts available for immediate use.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 • Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.7.76 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.0.35 • iOS 11.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

The idea is to have a large collection to choose from when you want ... erm ... a large collection to choose from.

Switching the app to select a font in another program, then install it, probably only to find out that it does not fit like you expected, then repeat the process... hmmm, you know what I mean. I hoped that a font manager would help here but it turned out (at least to me) that the interruption of the creative process is still annoying. (Edit: Nonetheless AF loaded with all those fonts in acceptable time before, like all other apps using fonts. There was no need for me to visit the support board.)

However, deinstalling is still(!) in progress. Let's see...

Hi RainFlow,

That's definitely one of the causes of the long start-up times. If you are already using a font manager (you didn't specify which one) you can disable most of them. Some font managers are able to load font files as they are needed when you load/open documents, so there's no need to keep them all active all the time.

Hi MEB,

it's FontExpert2014 (an older version as the name says). Will check at times if this load-on-demand is available. It seems to be but I can't find out now because... it's still busy with the other task.

Btw, just checked with AF Designer, don't know why I forgot this simple test, and yep: it also suffers from the loading problem. Guess you found the problem.

All in all one thing is clear: Didn't face this story before the WIN-update.

Add: Looking good... AF Designer, meanwhile 'on', is reacting to the de-installing process
2018-01-1418_09_24-afg5su4.png