You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought AD when it was first published and one of the first questions I asked on this forum was. 'When you try to close a file it still stays open after you have saved it; you have to back again and click Close' I would have thought after all this time it would have been fixed.

When can we expect a better choice for changing the Interface?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

"Fixed" ? Why would you want a file to close when you save it?

Closing a file every time you tried to save it would be a disaster. One of the first things they teach in any computing environment is to save your files regularly, the second is always make back-ups. I tend to save at least every  5 -10 minutes, Experience has been hard won, believe me !

Even then, counting up all those 5 - 10 minutes is painful :(. In fact Win 10 crashed on me yesterday, which to be fair is very unusual, but it happened in a period that was about 10 minutes longer than my 10 minute rule >:(

Anyway, back to closing when saving, imagine if every 5 - 10 minutes, you went "Save" and the file closed. You would have to find the file and reload it, every 5 - 10 minutes. :o

If you really must, do it the other way, Close the file (Ctrl + W), don't Save it.

Designer will prompt you to save it

warning.png.e8930d66de0c62aa2eabe9989bcc0e90.png

When you do, it will close.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

The OP's question was about closing the file, not about saving

8 hours ago, jackamus said:

'When you try to close a file it still stays open after you have saved it; you have to back again and click Close' .

I don't think @toltec's response really addresses this.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I don't think I made myself very clear to toltec.

When I want to shut down AD I have to go through this process to close all the open unsaved files.

1 If I click Close, I'm invited to Save if the file is unsaved.

2 I then Save it. At this point I expect the file to Close but it doesn't.

3 I have to go back to Close to close it.

This is how I would expect AD to do it.

1 Click Close.

2 AD asks if you want to Save if it hasn't already been saved otherwise AD would close the file.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

When I go to File > Close it asks to save Yes - No - Cancel if I click on Save it saves and closes, if I click No it closes, if I click Cancel it stays open, as you would expect it to do.

What Operating System are you on and what version of Affinity Designer are you using?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Sorry I forgot there was a Windows version. I'm on a Mac OS X El Capitan and AD version 1.6.0

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

Sorry I forgot there was a Windows version. I'm on a Mac OS X El Capitan and AD version 1.6.0

Forgiven ;)

I don't know if you have customised Affinity Designer much but you could try resetting user defaults by going to Preferences > Miscellaneous: Reset User Defaults

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, jackamus said:

I don't think I made myself very clear to toltec.

Yes indeed, there is a quite a big difference between "close a file" and "shut down AD"

I tried closing down AD on Windows 10 and it works as expected. Open files prompt me to save, when I save them they close, one by one.

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

People may overlook us Windows users (snob ;)) but at least our software works properly :D

19 minutes ago, toltec said:

People may overlook us Windows users (snob ;)) but at least our software works properly :D

LOL. :D Joking aside, it’s quite clear to me that for most Mac users this works as it does for you and me on Windows and for @firstdefence on a Mac. When you try to close an unsaved file and the program prompts you to save it, it shouldn’t then leave the file open after saving (regardless of whether you’re closing one or more files or shutting down the entire program). There must be something unusual about the OP’s setup.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

What Operating System are you on and what version of Affinity Designer are you using?

If you add your system specs to your forum signature, you won’t have to remember to post the information whenever it’s relevant.

Alfred spacer.png

Very sensible idea. I'll do it later!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

44 minutes ago, Alfred said:

LOL. :D Joking aside, it’s quite clear to me that for most Mac users this works as it does for you and me on Windows and for @firstdefence on a Mac. When you try to close an unsaved file and the program prompts you to save it, it shouldn’t then leave the file open after saving (regardless of whether you’re closing one or more files or shutting down the entire program). There must be something unusual about the OP’s setup.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Are you saying I shouldn't be having this problem?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Are you saying I shouldn't be having this problem?

Yes, Jack, that’s exactly what I’m saying. However, I’m afraid I’ve no idea why you’re having the problem, or what to do about it.

Alfred spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, Jack, that’s exactly what I’m saying. However, I’m afraid I’ve no idea why you’re having the problem, or what to do about it.

Buy a Windows PC ? 

I did once and that is why I bought a Mac!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I'm using AD 1.6.0 on a Mac with High Sierra but I don't see the same behaviour as you. My docs close immediately after saving following a quit. Must be something local to you.

Affinity Photo

Affinity Designer

Affinity Publisher 

iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, macOS 10.14.5

OK I'll try a re-set.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Ah yes those bloody OS differences programmers always have to fight with for platform portable UI apps. :D  Last time I worked on a Win/Mac portable app (if I recall correctly that was a Java UI app) this also behaved differently OS related to common file autosave close event triggerings. On the one OS it always recognized if unsaved file windows were available (file marked as dirty, aka unsaved, flags) if one was going to closed the app. On the other one the same associated and setup to fire events didn't trigger when closing the app. Thus there it just closed without any jump into the first-save-marked-as-dirty-files-then-exit-app event chain. AFAI recall there was a specific event setting which when activated had always priority and thus if set passed the usual event chain. - Well there are often little but tricky fine and essential differences even in the chains of fired event handlers here between the OS and the way they deal API wise with these things. ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well there are often little but tricky fine and essential differences even in the chains of fired event handlers here between the OS and the way they deal API wise with these things. ;)

That may be the case, but why wouldn’t this affect other users of AD 1.6 on OS X El Capitan? :/

Alfred spacer.png

I too use AD 1.6.0 on OS X El Capitan and here it behaves correctly the normal way if I use Exit/Quit (Cmd-Q), if there are open unsaved files it is asking for "Don't save, Abbort, Save", if I press save it first saves the file(s) and quits the app, if I press on "Don't save" it doesn't save the file and quits the app etc. - There aren't any left over open windows, how can if you exit the app?  If the app exits it destroys every used objects and exits, here the only way the app itself keeps running and windows stay there is, if you press "Abort" when the unsaved files panel pops up then. So to say if you abort the whole app exit/quit/close process.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I did once and that is why I bought a Mac!

Nice one brethren B|

• 1 year later...

No I haven't. Someone suggested that I might be able to change it in Preferences but there isn't a setting for doing that.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0