chris.bannu

Creating charts from PIE tool and DONUT tool

There are a bunch of videos which show how to do pie charts by duplicating/copying them ...

... however from a single one without duplicating/copying them, you have probably to divide it with the help of intersecting lines into several segments then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

@v_kyr Yeah that's pretty much how I made a pie chart, I thought there was a different way, maybe a way to add more nodes in the same pie chart. Still, there's a lot more freedom when using duplicate :) Thanks for the links btw :)

You want more nodes? I know some tracers which will produce and add so much nodes into pie traces that you can not see the forest for the trees anymore. So just trace a bitmap drawing. ;)

Though you can also add additional nodes with the node tool on curves if needed.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

9 hours ago, chris.bannu said:

Yeah that's pretty much how I made a pie chart, I thought there was a different way, maybe a way to add more nodes in the same pie chart.

You could make a pie chart using just one shape by adding nodes to it, like in this 1 curve pie.afdesign file, which as you will see if you open it does consist of a single closed curve, but you will also see the problem with that: it is just one curve so unless you add a very carefully constructed, highly complex conical gradient to it, all its wedges will have the same color.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM

AP for iPad 1.6.7.76; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 11.4

38 minutes ago, chris.bannu said:

Yeah, but the main problem is that it can't be edited like a pie chart, since it's a curve :)

Sure it can .... but that involves tediously adding, reshaping, & deleting lots of nodes, which is about as much fun as repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a hammer & why I said you would quickly see why it isn't a good way to make a pie chart. :S

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM

AP for iPad 1.6.7.76; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 11.4