Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cedge

Not sure if it's a Bug or an Undocumented Feature

3 posts in this topic

I'm quite new to the Affinity Photo family, but I'm a long time, old school graphics guy. I tend to use a number of less than intuitive  "PS Actions",  made up of complex combinations of blend modes, inversions, blurs and such, to achieve various effects. I'm currently playing with recreating some of these recipes, as AP macros. Since many of these combinations use the "Invert" command, I explored AP until I found there are several ways to access it.  "CTRL-I" is the one most used, however if I'm in one of the menus, I would naturally assume that I could conveniently use the "Invert" selection from there, with the same results. Not so.... as I quickly discovered.

Using "CTRL -  I  " 
  Inversion is automatically applied, nicely merged to the selected layer.

Selecting the "Layer - Invert" menu selection
Works exactly the same as the "CTRL - I" method.

Select the "Invert" command in any of the three available "Adjustment Layer" menus (Layers Panel, Effects Panel, Layers - Adjustment Layer Menu)
The effect is still applied, but it's placed un-merged and above the selected layer.  I then have to merge it down to the layer below, in order to get the desired effect from the next step in the process. 

Give it a try...
load an image,
CTRL - J
CTRL - i   (invert shortcut)
Blend mode  =  vivid light
Live Filter Layer-  Gaussian Blur....  set at 7 - 10 pixels.
Results should look like a badly embossed image.

Reset your history panel and repeat the same process, this time using the "Invert" option from any of the adjustment layer drop menus. Once the Gaussian blur is applied, you can merge down the inverted layer to you get the same results as those in the first effort.  I'll admit......It took me a few times to spot the difference and solve the riddle. Drag and Drop / Clipping it to the lower layer will not work... trust me.

My question is :
Which way is it supposed to work?

Granted..... I can always anticipate the need to merge down the "above layer" placement. I can also think of any number of instances where having it both ways could be quite handy. Having different designations would probably be a good idea, if it is to remain functional in both ways.

Steve

The Invert command is applied to the current layer, the Invert Adjustment layer added directly above the selected layer. If you use a blend mode on layer, you get different stacking order and different result.

The adjustment is added directly above the selected layer or at the top of the stack if no layer was selected.

The filter is clipped to the selected layer, restricting its effect to just that layer.

PaulAffinity likes this

Yevgeny Makarov
Thanks for offering up a concise clarification. You've described the experience perfectly.  So, the difference is based on "Adjustment" versus "Filter" and whether a layer selection is or isn't made.  I see where this would easily produce usable differences in function. It's just a wee bit confusing upon first encounter. I can live happily with all 3 of the ways, now that I understand them.

Steve