You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been working on an educational poster, on and off over a few months time. Until now, I had kept it at one size (11" x 17"), and have it looking fairly nice in that size:

5a591b467bd14_Capto_Capture2018-01-12_03-17-54_PM.png.daeca0116da168c9cbc2ccfb673ea247.png

After printing some test copies, it became clear that this was going to be way too small for what we are trying to do. So I tried to scale it up to 20" x 30", and it quickly got ugly fast:

5a591b5ce1b23_Capto_Capture2018-01-12_03-19-02_PM.thumb.png.f72d1149c07ede7251fd213941f0988f.png

It does not matter if I try to scale the whole artboard up or create a new, larger artboard and paste everything into it, I get the same hideous results. I have been messing with this for a week now, trying different things like adding or removing constraints, and it seems like I am only digging myself into a deeper hole. In some cases, when I try to remove constraints, the objects jump clear off the artboard and/or resize themselves to crazy proportions.

Every element in this poster is a vector element that I created myself, and there are no imported images. 

It is apparent that I am doing something wrong, and it probably has something to do with constraints. Can anyone offer suggestions on how I can get myself out of this pickle? I am willing to share the project file if need be.

20 minutes ago, Wikinger said:

Good evening. 

At first sight, it seems that the magnification ratio is not respected.

20/11 = 18 1818

30/17 = 17,6 

Resize all elements one after the other (to test maybe).

Honestly, I am not worried about that at this point. In my mind, the first thing that I think I need to do is to remove every constraint from every object in the original 11x17 artboard. Then I can (hopefully) coax everything back to where they belong, and then it should be much less of a problem when I go to the 20x30 layout, which of course won't have the same proportions.

So, my first question is: Is there an easy way to remove or reset the constraints on every element, or do I need to do it manually?

Then my next and more general question should be, what are constraints intended for? My guess is that my paradigm of constraints has been tainted by my prior experience with other unnamed design tools, and that in the Affinity universe they have a completely different use.

@Wikinger, I DO appreciate your reaching out to me on this, big time!

Did you already looked at these and tried the things shown there?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2