You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6.1 - Beta 2)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Mac Affinity Designer [from Mac App Store]

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This beta is an iteration of the current App Store release and should be used in preference to the App Store release, if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Improved pixel painting smoothing. Any pixel-based painting tools should now have better smoothing by default.
  • Fix for combo boxes causing crashes for certain users on High Sierra.
  • Fix for exporting JPEG automatically choosing to export clips as paths which is a poor default and causes confusion.
  • Fix for text objects being created outside the hierarchy of the artboard they were supposed to be created in.
  • Fix for rotated text bounding boxes being incorrect and for disappearing text following Power-Duplicate.
  • Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once.
  • Fixed crashing bug when exporting certain large PSDs.
  • Fixed a number of UI memory leaks.
  • Added special case PSD import code for “SketchClub” PSD files (they should fix this!).
  • Fixed PSD export of Fill layers.
  • Fixed UI labels on macOS versions prior to Mavericks.
  • SVG import can now handle gradients with missing x1 or y1 values.
  • Assorted PDF export improvements.
  • Localisation improvements.
  • Paste and file-drop of PDF format files will now honour the DPI, as per File->Place.
  • Fix for marching ants not showing on a rotated canvas.
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the updates. And good news. In regards to the issue I posted in the previous thread about the stroke increasing when joining paths, I figured out what triggers it. It's strange, but having the box "Scale with object" ticked off is what does it. So if you have open paths creating a closed section with that box ticked off, and then join, that is what causes the strokes to increase.

Joining Curves.mp4

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
3 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the updates. And good news. In regards to the issue I posted in the previous thread about the stroke increasing when joining paths, I figured out what triggers it. It's strange, but having the box "Scale with object" ticked off is what does it. So if you have open paths creating a closed section with that box ticked off, and then join, that is what causes the strokes to increase.

Joining Curves.mp4

Ah, that makes a lot more sense - thank you!!! I was clicking and clicking with no joy the other day, but I see now that it's all related to that option! Thanks once again! :)

Matt

• Staff
On 13/01/2018 at 3:01 AM, predick said:

The Export Transparent in Draw Persona still cannot works (only beta version). :)

We definitely have a fix for that, but the developer working on it is on holiday - he'll return tomorrow so I'll do another build when he has checked it in :)

Thanks,

Matt

5 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

Thanks for your continuous efforts. Unfortunately the font embedding issue doesn’t seem to be among the assorted PDF export improvements?

I was reading through that topic, and just like Sean, I neither am facing an issue.

Test.pdf

It's probably a silly question, but did you try just using Font Book that comes with Mac instead of FontExplorer X?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

2 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

It’s not a silly question but a kind of condescending thought to the likes of “You’re holding it wrong.

It wasn't my intention to offend you. I am trying to figure out all possibilities since we don't know the true cause of the problem. I, and maybe even Sean, are unfamiliar with that program, your system, and everything you're running, and we didn't face the same issue. I'm not saying it's the cause. I'm saying it's a possibility. What you linked me to is something different and indeed an unnecessary remark by Steven. That's not the case here.

4 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I am trying to figure out all possibilities since we don't know the true cause of the problem. I, and maybe even Sean, are unfamiliar with that program, your system, and everything you're running, and we didn't face the same issue.

Well, in the other thread I clearly said what was the issue. It is not just apparently, seemingly, or possibly, but definitely because the font files are located outside of the default system fonts directory, in a custom directory. Font Book also only recognizes and manages fonts that are installed in the default system fonts directory, so, yeah, using Font Book would “solve” that issue but that would be like buying a car and the manufacturer telling you that, in order to start it, you have to turn your cellphone off while turning the key.

So, AD (and in future APb) needs to take other font locations into account when exporting to PDF.

Hello Matt, I'm here to stock you again. :P

Please take a look at Toth's post here. The pressure from the pressure panel is not changing the stroke. I replied asking if the Brush Tool was used and I don't know the answer yet. The person is using Windows and this is Mac. I can confirm the issue on this current Mac beta and commercial version. If a stroke is drawn with the Brush Tool, the stroke cannot have pressure applied from the Pressure panel. Even if the brush stroke is converted to line, pressure cannot be applied as long as it starts with the Brush Tool.

I have some squiggly lines and squiggly text issues.  When I zoom in and out the text becomes slightly distorted, and some of the shapes distort as well - sort of like extremely low res hinting.  Everything is vector, and fonts are vectors as well so it shouldn't be doing this.  If I save my work and then open the document again everything is fine again for a while.  I don't know if this has been reported before but I did notice it in Beta 1 as well, though it is not a problem in the MAS version.  Wonder if anyone else has this issue.  Will take a screen grab later.

I downloaded the beta and installed it without trouble.
I tried to run the program and int indicated that I need to have a purchased license from the app store in order to use the beta...
Let me know if that is true...

I'll go looking for a trial version...

Thanks... I love the Photo version... I think the Design version will be just as enjoyable to use...

Until that time...

Edited by Earl_J
spelling error - I hate to see them almost as much as I hate committing them...

"Born on Valley Isle,
Home now, North Carolina;
Aloha, y'all. . ."

Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404
| Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.404 | Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404
Razer Laptop, i7 2.80 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 64-bit:
WIN 10 Home, 1803; Build 17134.765

Until that time. . . Erl_J

• Staff
13 hours ago, Earl_J said:

I'll go looking for a trail version...

That would be here https://affin.co/designertrial 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I have an idea for both Designer&Photo. Can you please fix scroll bars in swatches on a macOS: when it off (in the system preferences) it knocks out the order of swaches hue (the pannel itself can't be thinner — it's minimum possible width) + the one in the swatches panel is thick and ugly; when it's on… it ruins my perfect workspace alignment (17 by 11 fits perfectly on my MacBook Air with 50% zoom) and just eats free space. it's not really big deal but it would be nice if you will handle this))

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.57.31.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.57.48.png

I don't know the status, but I am just sending a reminder of an issue I reported for the commercial version and still persists in this beta. No rush. Just so it's not forgotten. If you use a bitmap fill on an object, scale the bitmap, and then press the Delete key, that triggers a crash.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.