You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF import - fonts all over the place

Firstly, I run a professional printing company working with litho printing and small & large format digital printing.

When I try to open/import a PDF file containing text - there is no option to rasterise the PDF at a chosen dpi. Note: the reason for wanting to open a PDF in the fist place is normally to convert it into an image file. This problem is compounded when I don't have the particular font installed on my Mac that has been embedded in the PDF and the result is a mess (see attached). As the PDF files come from customers - this is out of my control.

Please can we have an option to rasterise the PDF and not try and open it as a vector file with editable fonts etc?

thanks,

Barry Hayman

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 14.36.24.jpg

• Staff

Hi hayman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently Affinity apps don't support embedded fonts so it's not possible to generate an image from the PDF's. We do intend to add support for embedded fonts later.

Regarding the text, check the tracking settings of the text blocks. You should be able to correct it easily.

Hi,

thanks for the quick response.

This is disappointing as like many in the graphics trade, we are all hoping to move away from having to use Photoshop for these everyday tasks, but I guess I'll have to keep it going a little longer.

If the PDF has come from a client and we don't have their font - we cannot simply replace it with a font we have.

Do you think you will introduce embedded fonts or the ability to rasterise PDF's in a future release?

• Staff

Hi hayman,

Yes, we are aware of this limitation: currently you need to have the origional fonts installed to be able to see the document correctly.

As i said we do plan to add support for embed fonts so the document can be opened without them installed and eventually import the PDF as an image as well (there's no eta for this).

Affinity apps are still quite recent and despite the dev teams efforts to cover user's requests it may still take some time until we cover most of them (we have relatively small dev teams). Please bear with us while we work to get there.