You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DPI (dots per inch) Problem

Hello, there. I'm new to Affinity Photo and I am having problems with altering the photo size (width and depth) and dpi. The photo dimensions and dpi of the photo the customer sent me are: 5152px by 3864 px at 350 dpi. What I am trying to achieve is a photo dimension of 216mm x 162mm at 300 dpi. To achieve this, this it what I have done: Opened up the RESIZE DOCUMENT dialogue box. Firstly, I changed the UNITS to millimetres which in turns alters the PIEXEL SIZE to 373.9mm x 280.4mm. I then replaced these measurements to 216mm x 162mm and decreased the DPI to 300. Resample = Bilinear and the Resample box is TICKED. Then I press RESIZE and export as JPEG (Best quality) and RENAME the file. So far, so good. The problem arises when I import the photograph into QuarkXpress (2016) and the result brings in THE ORIGINAL DIMENSIONS and DPI of photograph before I made any changes, i.e. 5152px by 3864 px at 350 dpi. If I open my saved photograph in PHOTOSHOP it opens WITH the correct dimensions and dpi. Would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this problem as I want to transfer over to AFFINITY PHOTO without having to use PHOTOSHOP anymore. Kind regards.

AFAI can tell altering the DPI setting just changes the image dimension but not really the initial associated ppi (pixel/zoll) values here, thus maybe when imported into QuarkXpress this might rescale the image back to it's initial resolution or the one Quark is setup to use here. - When I alter a AP image as you described (dimensions and dpi) the image gets new dimensions, but the initial DPI didn't changed according to other image viewers for the new exported JPG image.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2