You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Initial Thoughts and a Request

As someone looking to get out of the CS universe after 20 years, this beta is by far the best attempt yet to replace Photoshop.

I opened up a Nikon NEF file and am impressed with how much you have gotten right so far. That being said, once I committed to my development parameters, the whole photo turned purplish. In other words, it didn't do what I told it to do.

That's one issue. The second is that Command-Z or "Undo" did NOT work. That's another big issue.

I'm confident you folks will eventually right that stuff and I'd be willing to report bugs and give feedback along the way.

I'll tell you the deal breaker right now with me eventually using this software in favor of Photoshop or not.

Three things, off the top of my head:

1. I need the equivalent of the Transform tools - skew, warp, etc. that are found in Photoshop. Nobody else has been able to duplicate this so far. You do that, you have me.

2. I will not sign on for a rental model, a la CS. If you do that, I'll stay with Adobe, much as I loathe them.

3. You always stay up-to-date on RAW formats.

Keep up the good work and I'll keep trying to make it work with Affinity.

• Staff

Hi,

The Develop Persona is fairly raw at the moment (if you will pardon the pun) - expect significant improvements to it with each weekly beta update.

1.) Our "Move" tool had integrated skew, etc - just hover away from the side handles and the cursor will change to skew. We have perspective warp and mesh warp as tool near the bottom of the palette.

2.) Photo will be a one-off $50 in the App Store - probably with a 20% discount for the launch week as a thanks to the people who have helped us with the beta :)

3.) We aim to do this.

Thanks,

Andy.

1.) Our "Move" tool had integrated skew, etc - just hover away from the side handles and the cursor will change to skew. We have perspective warp and mesh warp as tool near the bottom of the palette.

I was surprised by this post because I had never noticed any skew built into the Move Tool so I opened the latest beta, loaded an image and tried what you suggested.

I clicked on the Move Tool (the arrow head icon) second from the top in the tool box and a frame appeared around the image with little "x" characters at the corners and in the middle of each side. However no matter how long I "hovered" outside the frame near the "x" marks (which I assume to be the "handles" you mentioned I never saw any change in the cursor indicating that there was a skew function. My automatic assumption is that you are right and I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what I need to do to get this to provide skew functionality.

I know there is a rotate function built into the crop tool but I do not think that is what you are referring to.

Yes, often people want the initial layer to be locked so they don't accidentally move it..

I personally hate this, so I added an option in preferences so you can turn it off, if you want :)

Thanks,

Andy.

Thanks for this one.

Mac Pro (early 2009)

2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w/8GB

http://www.skeletonpete.com

"It's Stuff I Like, You Might Too..."

Yes, often people want the initial layer to be locked so they don't accidentally move it..

I personally hate this, so I added an option in preferences so you can turn it off, if you want :)

Thanks,

Andy.

Very good.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.