You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

24 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Grozev,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

No, there's no way to switch licenses between platforms, sorry.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Is there any legal way to sell/trade my license key, or this is against your terms and conditions?

• Staff

Hi Grozev,

According to the EULA, no. 

The License granted to you is limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive.

A little below it says:

• you have no right to rent, lend, lease, sell, supply, transfer or distribute, transfer, redistribute or sublicense the Serif Software.

Full license terms here.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Grozev,

According to the EULA, no. 

The License granted to you is limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive.

A little below it says:

• you have no right to rent, lend, lease, sell, supply, transfer or distribute, transfer, redistribute or sublicense the Serif Software.

Full license terms here.

I see, thanks again for the quick answer.

An unlikely scenario, but suppose I decided to switch to using a Mac and decided to sell or give away my desktop and laptop PC? Would the new owner be able to legitimately use the installed Affinity software?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

That is a question probably best answered by someone appropriately versed in the laws that apply where you live (or where you purchased the software).

The provisions of the license, if taken at face value, would seem to indicate "no", though I am not a lawyer and am not competent to make a sound legal judgment on that. :) 

However, there are some rights, in some jurisdictions, that are inherent and cannot be denied. Such a transfer might be one of them, depending on where the transfer occurs.

(This is a potential issue with most software licenses that I have seen, I believe.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I would have thought the licence is for the software to be installed, used and updated to the point of a major version change. By whom is not the issue, so you could have a thousand people using the same computer and each would be able to use the software because a licence is generally for 1 PC/Mac... It doesn't matter who uses the PC.

As far as I am aware you can't licence an individual to use a particular software... I could be wrong ¬¬

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

......... supposons que je décide de passer à l'utilisation d'un Mac et décide de vendre ou de donner mon PC de bureau et portable? Le nouveau propriétaire pourrait-il utiliser légitimement le logiciel Affinity installé?

Bonsoir.

Selon:

https://affinity.serif.com/fr/license/?_ga=2.222604764.674330532.1515788094-180278329.1515788094

Paragraph "Miscellaneous" I'm afraid that this is not possible (unless it's a mistake).

38 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

As far as I am aware you can't licence an individual to use a particular software... I could be wrong ¬¬

As far as I'm aware, most software is only licensed to an individual or an organization. When you purchase a licence, the software is licensed to you personally, so if you decide to sell or give away your computer you should uninstall any purchased software beforehand, leaving only the operating system in place.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you decide to sell or give away your computer you should uninstall any purchased software beforehand, leaving only the operating system in place.

That is what I would probably do. I reckon I have had my money's worth in the time I have been using Affinity.

And just to emphasize: this was a highly hypothetical scenario (shifting to a Mac, that is).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 1/12/2018 at 2:51 PM, Alfred said:

As far as I'm aware, most software is only licensed to an individual or an organization. When you purchase a licence, the software is licensed to you personally, so if you decide to sell or give away your computer you should uninstall any purchased software beforehand, leaving only the operating system in place.

The Affinity licenses grant you the right to install & use the software on computers that you personally own or control. It should be obvious that if you sell or give away a computer, you neither own nor control it; therefore, you cannot legitimately leave the Affinity software on it.

When selling or giving away a computer, it is a good idea to erase the drive (securely, if possible), reformat it, & reinstall just the OS. If you do not do this, you risk leaving tons of recoverable personal data on the drive. Deleting files in the normal way does not remove the data they contain from the drive; it just deletes the file system's reference to it. There are widely available utilities that provide a secure erase function for iron drives; for modern ones a 3 pass secure erase should be adequate. Note that it may not be possible to securely erase a SSD completely, particularly one that has seen heavy use. The saving grace for them is the un-erased data is generally much, much more difficult to recover.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7