You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editings images in Affinity Designer

Hey guys! :)

I've bought Affinity Designer about a week ago as I really liked the way it works for creating Screendesigns etc. 
Now I stumbled across the point where I'd like to get an image inside the document, - works perfectly fine. But I had to cut the image (a squared paper in my case) to the right size and I haven't really found a way of doing it properly either in Draw or Pixel Persona (I'm really new to Af Designer, sry). Beside that I'd have liked to add some effect like the paper would've been  "ripped out" of something - is this possible? I know Af Designer isn't really made for it, but the Pixel Persona feels like a small and compact version of some important tools for image editing.

Thanks,
Lars

Cutting an image to a selection size on the pixel persona can be done via rasterizing the image, applying the wanted size selection with the selection tool, then a copy (cut out) and paste into a new layer and dismissing or hiding the initial image. - Or instead use the cropping tool which masks the image to the wanted size, though the initial image is just masked in this case and not really cut off.

For a ripped out effect you can try to apply some dashline to the outer boundaries and combine. Or try to reuse some bitmap based style here, usually some rippled frame with transparent inner area contents, so only the image outer boundaries are effected when applying. Or make a chain of connected half circles and apply that to the image margins. - There might be several ways of how this can possibly done.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On the draw persona canvas directly not, but it takes only two seconds to apply a cut/paste via a selection in the pixel persona.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, PlayLikeLars said:

Thanks for the answer. Doesn't look like there's a simple way of actually properly cutting the image :/

By cutting, do you mean crop ? "cutting" is more associated with "cut and paste"

It is easy to crop an image, if that's what you mean ? Use the crop tool on the Draw Persona.

crop.png.57602809034b2f04d61ea114c1e19c08.png

But remember, unlike Photo, Designer is basically a page layout program, with extras. Not totally dissimilar to MS Word. Would you use Word to crop images ? It can do that but they are still on a page. In Photo, they are the page. Well, mostly.:)

If you use the crop tool, it actually puts the image inside a clipping rectangle. The image can be moved inside. sized inside etc.

cropped.png.8fe9e9374dad1f26a75e89583e2f71d7.png

If you want it to be just a single cropped image, right click and choose "Rasterize". It then becomes a totally cropped pixel image, (no frame) but it is still on a page. That is pretty simple. If you don't agree, try doing that in Word ;)

rasterized.png.3c00e9434261b632cf8a15ccbdcec495.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks for the clarification @toltec - great and really helpful answer again! :)

Yea - I meant to say crop, haven't really used the English word too much for it (sry).

Also haven't been too much into Graphic design tbh but I think that I slowly learn the differences between Designer and Photo. I've worked with Photoshop before and it kinda had many tools for image editing but also a bit for Screendesign (at least I used it for that).
Gonna have to get Affinity Photo soon then ;)

On 12.1.2018 at 1:20 AM, toltec said:

try doing that in Word ;)

Oh and: challenge accepted ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)