You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable Anti-Aliasing when creating shapes

Hi everyone,

I’m fairly new to the iPad version of Affinity Photo. Is it possible to disable Anti-Aliasing for creating shapes? Being completely honest Affinity Photo for iPad seems like a great candidate for Pixel Art but that is getting in the way.

• 9 months later...

It would really be sweet if making shapes without antialiasing would become possible. Beside the shapes, the pen tool doesn't have the option either. Pen tool without antialiasing would be very nice too.

Edit: And fonts too! And all the rest...

I know this post is old, but thought it'd be better to take up an old thread than to make a new one.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

March 2023 now, and I'm still getting odd anti-aliasing around shapes even when working in pixels and the shapes are whole pixel sizes. I'd hoped v2 would resolve the issue, but having upgraded it seems not.

Or am, I being dense and missing something?

Screenshot 2023-03-04 at 13.58.24.png

You can get perfectly sharp pixel exact shapes in Affinity Photo or Designer since day 1 up to latest V2 - but it still needs careful workflows. These topics have been discussed a thousand times in this forum. Do you have still a honest question how to achieve these results?

For starters (you as forum veteran probably know them already)

• activate snapping, forced pixel alignment, deactivate move by whole pixels.
  • use transform panel to inspect position and size is whole pixels
  • set document units to pixels
  • set UI to 6 decimal digits
  • Use suitable export resample method for pixel art
  • deactivate anti-aliasing on top level shapes (e.g. artboard or vector layer or group)
  • Do not resize pixel layers except integer multiples of size (e.g. 2x 3x 4x)
  • Do not position layers to fractional positions
  • use strokes of even size (centered)
  • don’t use wet edges for pixel brush
  • use pixel tool
  • Do not use publisher (to avoid unfixed bugs wrt fractional position of pages 2ff)
  • There are countless more things to do or to avoid, but this list keeps you save for basic editing.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. I've done searches previously and, despite it being discussed 'a thousand times' haven't found the topic or a solution.. Maybe this thousand-and-one discussion will do the job ;0)

Puzzled by what you mean 'an honest question'. Odd.

Onywise, thanks for that list of suggestions.

I don't understand the first. Where do I find 'forced pixel alignment' and 'deactivate move by whole pixels'?
I *do* use the second - that doesn't work for me.
I *do* use the third - that doesn't work for me.
the fourth seems . . a tiresome and longwinded chore
Export isn't the issue, it's designing without anti-aliasing that is
I *do* use the sixth - that doesn't work for me.
I *do* use the seventh - that doesn't work for me.
I *do* use the eighth - that doesn't work for me.
Number nine may be worth a try
I don't use pixel brushes
Photo has a pixel tool? I did not know that. I'll take a look, but amn't sure how that would work with shapes and text
I don't use Publisher at all.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. It just seems so difficult to resolve this when every other bitmap editor I've ever used just seem to create anti-alias free shapes without having to tinker with so many settings. Most frustrating.

• 1 month later...