GFS

AirDrop multiple files = crash

Trying to AirDrop 1.5Gb of afphoto files to iPad Pro 12.9 running 11.2.2 in a 'batch' drop of 11 files.

Files transfer correctly (on Mac, the blue circle completes) there is a sound alert on the iPad and it auto-switches to AFPhoto, which promptly quits (unexpectedly!).  From Settings/General/iPad Storage I can see that the files have been transferred, however, after re-opening AFPhoto, there is no way to access them ... they don't show up in the file browser.  (This is a really great way to fill up my iPad's storage space!!!)

So the only way to get the Gbs of space lost on my iPad, is to delete and re-install AFPhoto ... loosing AFPhoto's setup/configuration etc.

NB ... The files also have a number added to their name, showing that there are multiple copies in the AFP storage space.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Hi GFS

I'm not getting any crashes when airdroping files across. Is it a particular file you have that might be causing this crash?

I am however only getting the single file opening and I dont seem to have a choice as to which one it is. This should probably place all the files on the home screen so i shall get this reported

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris,

I've moved all the files individually without issues.  So I think it's a memory management thing, but I can't even move just 2 together.  The files are between 100MB & 250MB Syslog says this :

NB- These are .afphoto files

NB-too ... AFPhoto quits unexpectedly.

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000028
VM Region Info: 0x28 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4362141656
      REGION TYPE                      START - END             [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT                 0000000104010000-0000000104014000 [   16K] r-x/r-x SM=COW  ...to.app/Photo]

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]
Triggered by Thread:  0

See attached syslog file.

Perhaps I should add this as a feature request ... but ...

There is no way that I can find in AFPhoto for iOS, to either move, or copy a file in .afphoto format, FROM the iPad to a Mac, using AirDrop.

Export only offers other file formats.

Save As only offers iCloud or similar.

For times when iCloud is not feasible (no, or slow, internet) this seems like an unnecessary limitation which precludes working between iPad and Mac, which is a shame, since AirDrop is so fast and efficient.

Photo-2018-01-12-124616.ips.zip

Hi GFS

I shall look further into the crash.

You are able to save afphoto files directly on your iPad by going to Save a Copy in the Document menu. Among all the cloud drives there should be a On My iPad option provided by files. You can select a folder in there (there may be a Photo folder already) and save it into there. You can then access the afphoto file from the files app to do whatever you wish. if you don't have the On My iPad option you may need to turn it on in a similar manner to turning on other cloud drives.

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris.

I was meaning that there is no option for transferring a file (or copy) in .afphoto format, to a Mac via AirDrop. (Has to be done via a Cloud).

Since AFPhoto is not working with iCloud files directly and is instead importing copies of them ... and yet the Mac is working with them directly, this can make for a confusing scenario.  So it would be good if AFPhoto for iPad embraced AirDrop as the simplest, fastest, easiest way to work between a Mac and an iPad.