You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Modifier keys while drawing a selection.

I've noticed that while drawing a selection with the marquee tool coming from PS I was expecting modifier keys to work, such as holding Space to move selection while drawing, holding Alt for center to bounds drawing. Also missing were cursor cues to the action, whereas the cursor never shows a plus sign if adding or minus if subtracting, x for intersection, etc. Are these features planned?

On a side note, the software as is is quite impressive, the native filetype crunched an 80mb PSD file to 17 while retaining quality. I mainly do comic book coloring with PS and most features are there, save perhaps a few like processing grayscale to bitmap for the line art, but it looks like I could migrate. The UI is snappy, we like it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Now in version 1.4 and apparently no method available to re-position or draw from center with 'crop' or 'marquee tools' by way of keypad modifiers during the operation. If any of you designers out there find these functions imperative then please add a +1 to this feature request. I'm a little concerned now about this feature being considered since this request was first placed during Feb 2015 & now we're a year and a half down the road. Don't mean to sound desperate but ....

cheers all  :)

• Staff

Now in version 1.4 and apparently no method available to re-position or draw from center with 'crop' or 'marquee tools' by way of keypad modifiers during the operation. If any of you designers out there find these functions imperative then please add a +1 to this feature request. I'm a little concerned now about this feature being considered since this request was first placed during Feb 2015 & now we're a year and a half down the road. Don't mean to sound desperate but ....

cheers all  :)

There's no need to add +1s or anything like that - it's on my list and it will get done as soon as I can, I promise! ;)

There's no need to add +1s or anything like that - it's on my list and it will get done as soon as I can, I promise! ;)

I'd like to add that I very much appreciate having replies to requests & questions. Oh & that I read MEB's post about not needing to add +1s or anything, a bit late perhaps but got it now.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi tajmahal,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The dev teams are working as fast as they can to implement new features and move forward with the development but they can't do everything at once. 

MattP already aknowledged this feature. Bear with use while we get there. It will be implemented as soon as possible.

Hi tajmahal,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The dev teams are working as fast as they can to implement new features and move forward with the development but they can't do everything at once. 

MattP already aknowledged this feature. Bear with use while we get there. It will be implemented as soon as possible.

Good to hear. I asked a similar question and added a feature request recently on this issue of no modifier keys with selections.

Matt

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd just like to add my support for a feature like this. It's something that's so ingrained with how I use Photoshop, I was surprised when I couldn't do it. I'd really love to be able to resize and then reposition a marquee selection in a fluid manner just by using the space bar whilst dragging it out.

On 7/15/2016 at 9:53 AM, MattP said:

From and including: Friday, 15 July 2016
To, but not including Monday, 25 May 2020

Result: 1410 days

It is 1410 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

Or 3 years, 10 months, 10 days excluding the end date.

Or 46 months, 10 days excluding the end date.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 9 months later...

Hi community,

When in Quick mask mode, if I need to draw a ellipse marquee, I just start  dragging from the center and draw the marquee the approximate size, then I switch to move tool (letter V on the keybord) reshape my selection, and go back to the tool I was using before (brush tool for example).

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's now 2023, and every time I start my marquee one pixel wrong, I have to stop and redraw it instead of just touching the spacebar to shift it! That, along with the lack of a "Crop To Mask" function, is driving me mad [the Crop tool is an incredibly slow and clumsy way to trim screenshots].

Affinity does not seem to realise that to increase sales they do not have to clone Photoshop, but they do need to eliminate daily teeth-grinding editing annoyances that make people give up after using the trial version.