You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo running slow and freezing on Mac

For some reason Affinity has become very slow to respond and sluggish when carrying out editing functions. It will also freeze resulting in me having to force quit.  I am running this program on a MacBook Pro and have not had problems in the past.  With all other apps my computer seems to be working fine.  Hope you can help

• Staff

Hi Sarah Lurajud,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you go to Affinity Photo > Preferences and in the Performance tab please try changing the Display dropdown this should hopefully solve your issue.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 months later...

Jumping on this thread. Same here, Affinity Photo is basically unusable on my late 2017 iMac, especially so in the raw editor. Dragging out gradients takes an age - it is laggy and not nice to use whilst changes with the sliders is blocky and jerky. Sorry but altogether an awful experience. PS on the other hand flies. Is there something I am missing?

On 03/05/2018 at 5:32 PM, ColinG said:

Jumping on this thread. Same here, Affinity Photo is basically unusable on my late 2017 iMac, especially so in the raw editor. Dragging out gradients takes an age - it is laggy and not nice to use whilst changes with the sliders is blocky and jerky. Sorry but altogether an awful experience. PS on the other hand flies. Is there something I am missing?

Nothing anyone?

• Staff

Hi ColinG,

Sorry the delay getting back to you. Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. Check if the issue still persists. If you still have trouble go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section and change the Display dropdown to OpenGL, or to Metal in case you have OpenGL selected. Does it speed things up or keeps freezing/lagging?

Thanks MEB. Not a lot of difference, if any, unfortunately. Still blocky and when dragging gradients the lag is sufficient to make one believe it is not working. I have done all you suggested and am now running on Metal as well.

57 minutes ago, MEB said:

What's the specs of your iMac? If you create a new user account and try to run Affinity Photo there does it still lags when performing these operations? Are you running any anti-virus on background?

Specs attached. User accounts make no difference. I get this problem on no other software so doubt its a spec thing, or if it is it is due to the way Affinity is put together. Should mention that it is the drawing of gradient masks that is the real nightmare. It is absolutely perfect out side of the raw editor though and even the blockiness is very light, if at all. So, it appears to be the raw workspace.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 16.13.34.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been having these problems for the last day and half. I have found the solution for me to change my screen resolution to the 'Default for display'. I usually have my iMac running on the largest  'More space'. I have reduced this to the default and it has resulted in affinity actually running fine. Frustrating as this has required a change in workflow across different softwares. 

8 hours ago, Hugo117 said:

Ive been having these problems for the last day and half. I have found the solution for me to change my screen resolution to the 'Default for display'. I usually have my iMac running on the largest  'More space'. I have reduced this to the default and it has resulted in affinity actually running fine. Frustrating as this has required a change in workflow across different softwares. 

I don't understand what you mean about 'More space' vs. reduced to the default. On every Mac I have ever owned, the "Default for Display" setting is the highest resolution (the most pixels) the GPU & screen combination can support. Thus, this setting produces the largest screen space that combination can support, while any scaled setting is lower resolution (fewer pixels) & thus less screen space.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

Has anyone found a solution for the MacBook performance issues? It takes 8-10 seconds when I hover over a tool to display the tool name in the Develop Persona. I am trying to learn the software and its very frustrating. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 3.1ghz i5 with 8gb RAM running High Sierra. 

• Staff

Hi jamesgerboc,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
It's just the tooltips that are taking long time to appear or is there any other issues? Can you please check if the Tooltip Delay setting was changed in Affinity Preferences, User Interface section (bottom of the top section) - it should be located on the small grey mark by default.

@MEB It was just the tooltips right now. It it very difficult to learn navigation with the delay when hovering. One of the other members suggested the same setting and it worked. I never thought of or have ever experienced an app with such adjustment. At first I thought it was stupid, but I now see the value in it and will appreciate more as I get more comfortable. I would ask that it be set to no delay as default. More experienced users would likely have known to increase the delay. Thanks for your kind response.

• 3 months later...

Affinity-Why has there been no solution for this?  I am dying over here with this terribly slow program-I am about to quit and go back to photoshop and just deal with the subscription plan.  I have an iMac 2019-16GB memory with 3.6GHZ i9 core processor-  minimal usage of hard drive space since everything I have is saved to an external drive- So I cannot believe how or why Affinity photo is so god awful slow- it appears that the more layers I add- the program just cannot handle it!  it may take several minutes before I can "make my next move" or for the program to respond- 15 mins to so to save the file or it freezes-and I LOSE ALL MY WORK!  I have my own clothing design company and do all my graphic design work in Affinity and it's just killing my productivity!! PLEASE can somebody find a solution to this- its 2020 and this thread has been here since 2018 with no resolution. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Did anyone get a fix for this?  I've posted a query/issue in the forum - not the bug reporting one and I'm wondering if my issues are caused by the same thing.  I tried just making a new file to see how affinity was working...simple file and tried to draw on it and there's about a second or two delay between drawing and it appearing on screen.  This is very frustrating and I'm wondering if I was right to sing Affinity Photo's praises to other folks who were looking for a Photoshop alternative.  I've been using Affinity for a few years now and didn't have these issues before at all.

Absolutely no problems running 1.7.3 on my iMac 2019, spec in my signature.  In fact, no delays in adding layers, zooming or any layer adjustments.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 6 months later...

Same issue here with a MacBook Pro 16 Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 Ram: 64GB  GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB
Affinity Photo is extremely slow and laggy regardless if I use a file from an external hard drive or a small file from the SSD on the main laptop.  

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here! Starting about two weeks ago my 2019 Macbook Pro started freezing almost constantly with eraser, paintbrush, lasso - it's unusable and my machine is quite powerful. The files are not super large either (40-50mb). Macbook Pro is only 6 months old (2.9GHz 8-core i0, 32GB ram, AMD 5600 w/8GB ram).

There has GOT to be a solution, it is so so frustrating. Boss is getting mad as I can't take her direction on the fly when she sits down beside me on in-progress draft revisions.