You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why do jpegs exported from AD display at a smaller size than jpegs exported from Photoshop?

As you can see from the attachment, the same file displays at different pixel sizes depending on whether it was initially exported from Affinity Designer or Photoshop. My question is why. Why won’t the jpeg exported from Affinity Designer display at the larger Photoshop size? Does anyone have any idea? Is there any box I can check so that AD matches the Photoshop display size?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 6.46.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 6.51.15 PM.jpg

I guess you have a Retina-display, do not you? 

And i guess you have a retina-display?

Maybe some one can explain why this more is useful for editing, but why this confusing stunts appear and if this confusing is necessary or not?

Is this retina-worked-END-picture on all displays so big or hust on retina-displays???? And so on????

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

7 hours ago, andy-in-mke said:

Why won’t the jpeg exported from Affinity Designer display at the larger Photoshop size?

I think the explanation is that the two files were saved at different DPI settings & in the Images preferences for Apple's Preview.app, you have set 100% scale to be the printout size. Change that setting as below & see if that helps.

prefs.png.ef88ee1b80c7637573033fad43cbc007.png

BTW, I don't know what app you used for your last screenshot, but the difference in file sizes (48.6 KB vs. 11.5 KB) that shows indicates the two files were saved at different quality settings, with the smaller file using quite a bit more lossy compression.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

R C-R, Sorry I haven’t responded to your comments sooner... I apologize, and thank you for your feedback.

As for which app I used for the screen shots, I used the standard OS X screen cap function. I do not know what resolution that is -- Does it depend on the native monitor resolution? The thing is I specified 144 dpi when I (a) created the original file in Affinity Designer and then exported it as a jpeg from AD and (b) opened it in Adobe Photoshop and exported it using Adobe's Save-for-Web function. The Adobe exported jpegs take up twice as much screen real estate as they do via AD. I prefer the larger Adobe jpegs. My workflow involves emailing these jpegs to my boss for his inspection, using the Apple Mail app. 

Your guess as to why this is happening (i.e. that Defining 100% scale in Preview’s preferences would solve the problem) turns out not to be true (see my new attachment).

The bottom line is that however the jpegs display, whether in Apple’s Mail or Preview apps, they end up looking the same as Adobe-created jpegs in the end, when I post them in a web page. So you can say it doesn’t matter. It’s just that I don’t understand what’s going on. It’s annoying to me but not truly important, and I can live with it.

Andy

comparison.jpg

On 26.1.2018 at 1:27 AM, andy-in-mke said:

I’m sorry, Polygonius, but I don’t understand what you’re trying to say in your post, and that’s why I didn’t respond. Keep working on your written English skills. Take care. :-)

;)

Try to answer:

OSX with Retina-Displays will take screenshots with 144dpi; without retina in 72 dpi. As more dpi as "bigger" the picture (file-size and displaying size).

On non-retina displays this screenshots looks very big and vice versa. Most browser / forums... emulates 72 dpi, so my screenshots (out of box) looks very great.

AFAIK (without guarantee): OSX preview does not really reflect the real size and it does not support a re-jpg in another dpisetting, than the files has.

Take any jpg or png... and open in AP, press cmd+1. Than open the same jpg or png in a second AP-file. Press also cmd+1. But in this document go to document > change doc-size. Try another DPI.

Press again cmd+1 - you will remark it will change.

Export BOOTH files as jpg. 

Adobe Bridge is a nice FREE picture-manager, if you already have any adobe-product, try it. There you can show/sort in many ways, including sort by DPI. Compair booth exported versions from above there. This comparing can clarify the relation between dpi / showing on displays / filesize....

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!