shojtsy

Cropping does not reduce file size

I have create a new document in AF 1.6.1.93 by loading a 71 megabyte RGB/16 tiff file.

Saving this to an afphoto file created a 71,5 megabyte afphoto file. It has a single layer.

Then I heavily cropped the image to a small fraction of the original size.

I made sure to right-click on the pixel layer and choose Rasterize to remove any leftover pixel area from the crop. Document -> Unclip canvas does not change my image.

I saved the afphoto file again. I don't have history saving enabled.

My expectation is the file size going way down to below 1 MB. But it is still 71,8 MB, even bigger than what I have started with.

The remaining huge file size must be a bug.

The file size stays the same because affinity photo does not get rid of the image area surrounding the crop.  This allows you to change the crop even after you have saved your changes (note: i'm not an expert so I might be wrong).

11 minutes ago, Gavin W. said:

The file size stays the same because affinity photo does not get rid of the image area surrounding the crop.  This allows you to change the crop even after you have saved your changes (note: i'm not an expert so I might be wrong).

Rasterize supposed to solve this. And I am no longer able to extend my crop after it.

Hi Mark

Does Save As to the same file name trim the old data or does it have to use a new file name?

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

8 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Try using Save As. In order to speed up save time, we don't always trim old data out of the file (we do it based on some internal metrics). Performing a Save As would force it to trim the old data.

Save As does not help. I have tried with choosing the same filename and new filename. Exiting, reloading and doing Save As again with third name still does not help. I am happy upload the 71 MB file if you can provide a dropbox please.

crop_filesize_demo2.gif

@shojtsy, we store the original TIF file within our afphoto file (as the afphoto file isn't designed as a storage format, instead it's a format for editing photos). If you just want a flattened image, you should export as TIF after cropping.

There is a minor bug here though, because you have destructively cropped, there is no way of recovering those pixels, so there is no point in storing the original TIF (we should strip it out) so I will get this issue logged.

Wrote I wrote was wrong, we actually create a snapshot of the document at creation, so that you can use things such as Undo Brush - so you can always get back to your original data - that's why the file size is large. I refer you back to my first sentence, where if you just want a flattened image, you should export the image.

On 2018. 01. 12. at 11:43 AM, Mark Ingram said:

@shojtsy, we store the original TIF file within our afphoto file (as the afphoto file isn't designed as a storage format, instead it's a format for editing photos). If you just want a flattened image, you should export as TIF after cropping.

There is a minor bug here though, because you have destructively cropped, there is no way of recovering those pixels, so there is no point in storing the original TIF (we should strip it out) so I will get this issue logged.

Wrote I wrote was wrong, we actually create a snapshot of the document at creation, so that you can use things such as Undo Brush - so you can always get back to your original data - that's why the file size is large. I refer you back to my first sentence, where if you just want a flattened image, you should export the image.

It would be better to add the original image to snapshots panel to be able to remove.

It is not the end of my edits when I would like my file size to drop. When I finish editing, I can just export the image and remove the afphoto file, so it's size is no longer relevant. It is while editing when the file size is relevant. If I start with a some large input and would like to work with a small portion, why do I need to carry along the original? 

On top of this, the undo brush doesn't work properly after rasterizing a crop anyway! It just assumes that the original snapshot has the same upper left corner, as the new image.

Affinity file sizes are huge... probably due to its desire to work non destructively whenever possible but this non destructive behaviour can be a pain when you want to work destructively and actually get rid of unwanted (no longer needed) stuff in your saved files. Affinity needs to address this at some point as saving what should be  a 1MB file and it using 71MB of disk space is simply ridiculous.

@shojtsy

Try this workaround workflow for your particular example

Open your original tiff file
Make your crop ( no need to rasterise afterwards)

Select > Select all
File > New from clipboard

Then save this new file as your working afphoto file (which will be greatly reduced in size)

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.