You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Moving frame in PDF file

Hello,

I have one question about PDF file. Let's start from the beginning. I am making flashcards for young learners. I have made a lot of cards so far but one day I found something wierd. When I save file from affinity into PDF (for print) - raster DPI 300 the frame around pictures are moving and getting thicker and thinner when you take it full size in Acrobat Reader and you move from one picture into another. I have checked it a few times and all the frames in affinity file are the same size. I decided to attach one file with flashcards to show you what I meant. 

Flashcards - PETS - A4.pdf

I don't have Acrobat Reader any more but I tried in Acrobat Professional and Foxit PDF reader (free) and I could see no problems at 100% or 200% or even a few percentages in between.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi tkaa85 and Welcome to the Forums,

I do see a very small amount of movement, only a few pixels when switching between pages in Acrobat Pro.  If i view the PDF in Chrome and scroll down the page, i don't seem to get any movement.  Do you have the original .afdesign file you could upload here to our Dropbox.  

Ok, I added 3 files to Dropbox

1. affinity file - flashcards

2. file saved via Adobe Illustrator CC - the frame isn't moving at all

3. file saved via Affinity - when you take picture to full size and move to another picture using Page down or page up you will see that the top part of the frame is moving and it's getting thicker and thinner. 

I would be very thankful if somebody help to solve the problem. 

Thx in advance,

Lukasz,

• Staff

Thanks for the files @tkaa85 and the video.

Can you just try the attached PDF and let me know the results.  It seems to be working okay for me, but i'd like you to double check.

One thing i had noticed, with the original PDF you sent over and comparing it to the .afdesign file, the PDF seemed to have added on some pixels in some places, i'm not 100% sure why.  But with the file i attached, i created a new document, enabled snapping, along with force pixel aliment and move by whole pixels, added the other artboards and then copied the flash cards over into the new document.  When published, it previews fine for me in Foxit and also Adobe Reader Pro.

Untitled.pdf

Why does pixel alignment have anything to do with a vector object's placement from a design file into a PDF?

As far as I can tell with the OP's pdf, the dash array moves slightly in the H direction (not in the Y direction, but I only checked a single object from page to page). That slight movement is enough to force Acrobat/Reader to re-render and to add "apparent" pixels in the viewing space.

Is this the outline a dashed line in the AD file versus been already converted to curves?

• Staff
1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Why does pixel alignment have anything to do with a vector object's placement from a design file into a PDF?

I was simply putting down all the steps i did to get the PDF to display correctly when i recreated it the 1st time.  On further testing, this was a red flag as i've got it to work with that disabled. The outline is actually a number of rectangles placed around the page, all have same W and H values on each artboard.  One thing i did do, when creating my artboards i did used a whole value so instead of 31.3 i used 30.0

I would suggest  (I have before) that it either be impossible to create an artboard in non whole pixels or, if there is a reason why it is needed for some unknown reason, that all there be some ui command to make all artboards align at the x/y intersection. 

But still, that should never really be an issue with vector objects exporting to a vector format. 

Mike 

7 hours ago, stokerg said:

Thanks for the files @tkaa85 and the video.

Can you just try the attached PDF and let me know the results.  It seems to be working okay for me, but i'd like you to double check.

One thing i had noticed, with the original PDF you sent over and comparing it to the .afdesign file, the PDF seemed to have added on some pixels in some places, i'm not 100% sure why.  But with the file i attached, i created a new document, enabled snapping, along with force pixel aliment and move by whole pixels, added the other artboards and then copied the flash cards over into the new document.  When published, it previews fine for me in Foxit and also Adobe Reader Pro.

Untitled.pdf

STOKERG you did it!!! I tried to do the same as you said but I'm not sure if I do it correctly because the frame is still moving. Could you record a short movie via Ocam how you did this?

I would be grateful! :-)  

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

I would suggest  (I have before) that it either be impossible to create an artboard in non whole pixels or, if there is a reason why it is needed for some unknown reason, that all there be some ui command to make all artboards align at the x/y intersection. 

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but won't snapping already do that without the need for any new command? odd sized artboards.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

It simply should not be possible, snapping enabled or not.

Why? Vector objects are not defined based on pixels, so why should artboards be so restricted?

8 hours ago, MikeW said:

And how do you fix a multi artboard file that is off whole pixels? One at a time is unacceptable. 

Why does an artboard that is not pixel-aligned need to be "fixed"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

Have you read this and countless others like it?

I do not know what "this" you mean or what relevance that might have here.

Affinity Photo 

hello, I've made progress recently. The frame is moving but only a little bit but the vertical sign on the right side "www.liznijezyk.pl  Liźnijęzyk C 2017" is moving from left to right. I attach to files:

a) Fruits - A4 affinity

b) Fruits - A4 pdf

Could anyone help with that issue?

Thx in advance, 

Luke

Fruits - A4 affinity.afdesign

Fruits - A4 pdf.pdf

• Staff

Hi tkaa85,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The movement of the copyrighted text object on the right side is related with varying X,Y coordinates (position) and small size variations across the different artboards.

To check this select the text object and check its X, Y coordinates in the transform panel. As you can see there's a small variation between them (the decimal value).

I've attached a fixed file below.

Fruits - A4 affinity_MEB.afdesign