Sign in to follow this  
shojtsy

Layer group blending bug

Hi,

There is a bug in blending of layer groups in AF 1.6.1.93 when all of the following conditions hold:

- layer group contains no pixel layers, not even disabled ones

- layer group contains a live filter layer

- blend mode of layer group is set to something other than Normal

Easiest demonstration I have is to take the attached afphoto document, and experiment with deleting the empty and disabled pixel layer. Deleting this layer should make no difference, but the image rendered is completely different. To see the change you may need to force a redraw to get around a failure to refresh the image, you can do this by disabling the layer group and re-enabling it.

The correct application of the blend mode happens only when the pixel layer is present.

layer_group_blending_workaround3.afphoto

layer_group_blending_workaround3.jpg

layer_group_blending_workaround_after_delete.jpg

layer_group_blending_workaround_before_delete.jpg

When you delete the pixel layer, you get a group which contains only adjustments and filters in it, that leads to a different result. There's no bug, it's by design:

On 25.10.2017 at 0:11 PM, Chris_K said:

If a group has only adjustments and filters in it (so it shows the folder icon) it will affect the elements outside the group. As soon as you add an element such as a pixel layer, fill layer, Image layer, vector layer etc the adjustments will only affect what is inside that group, leaving elements outside untouched. This is an intended behaviour.

But there is a bug with the live filter:

7 hours ago, Yevgeny Makarov said:
  On 2017. 10. 25. at 10:11 AM, Chris_K said:

If a group has only adjustments and filters in it (so it shows the folder icon) it will affect the elements outside the group. As soon as you add an element such as a pixel layer, fill layer, Image layer, vector layer etc the adjustments will only affect what is inside that group, leaving elements outside untouched. This is an intended behaviour.

I don't agree that comment is applicable for this example. You can either consider the outer layer group to contain adjustment layers or not.

1) If you consider the outer layer group to contain adjustment layers, then current behavior contradicts the comment, because the adjustments are NOT clipped to the pixel layer.

2) If you do not consider the outer layer group to contain adjustments layers, then the comment does not tell anything about what the behavior should be, as it only applies for the case when it contains adjustment layers.

Shojtsy
 it would appear that we are both possibly working with the same idea. I'm guessing that you are experimenting with the "Gaussian Blur  Dodge and Burn" process?  It's really a very strong and useful trick. I've just made it into a working AP Macro and testing it,

Want a helping hand?

Steve

2 hours ago, Cedge said:

Shojtsy
 it would appear that we are both possibly working with the same idea. I'm guessing that you are experimenting with the "Gaussian Blur  Dodge and Burn" process?  It's really a very strong and useful trick. I've just made it into a working AP Macro and testing it,

Want a helping hand?

Steve

Thanks Steve. On a higher level I am experimenting with a generic way to combine multiple adjustments, filters and blend modes to provide new effects, with the explicit goal of the new effect still being a live adjustment, meaning underlying layers can still be changed afterwards, just as if it would be a rendering node-based editor. Affinity seems to be on the verge of being able to do this, although interestingly this seems accidental instead of intentional, because one has to jump through hoops to do it.

Specifically I got into this example by trying to create a composite live adjustment with a pencil sketch effect. There are many tutorials how to do this in Photoshop, and they work in Affinity, but they all have the drawback of not being a live adjustment. It would be a good example to demonstrate the flexibility of Affinity that it can do it as a live adjustment. I found out how to do this and will post separately. However, because of the rendering bug with live filters in layer groups, the process will still look less than ideal with a placeholder empty pixel layer to work around the bug (similar to the layer structure in post 1).

Shojtsy
I am also chasing down complex techniques of the same nature. We've obviously encountered some of the same blind avenues. I've got a ton of old PS Action files to sort through, basically to determine which ones are worthy of translation to AP. Some of them are pretty complex but they also do some pretty heavy lifting. Once I got the memo on how the different invert commands are applied, things got quite a bit easier.

Steve