You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A flat UI design would be better? YES/NO

Would you like to see Affinity Designer and Photo get a flat UI makeover? Keep everything else the same but just lose that faux subtle 3D relief around menus and controls? Checkout the Pixelmator Pro UI to see what I mean.

I just “switched” to Affinity from Adobe and am learning to use both Designer and Photo. I’ll likely use Designer for the most part while my significant other will probably use Photo more. Anyway, we went through a painstaking few days debating whether to drop some money on the Affinity products (not that they’re that expensive). I was really drawn to Pixelmator Pro’s UI but it lacked the vector features I wanted (I have basic design and layout needs, not a professional designer or anything). I have the older Pixelmator on my Mac but have been using it less. Also, I’ve been using Gravit Designer for a few odd jobs. It has a flat UI too. And now I’ve got this bee in my bonnet about flat UIs and I just wish Affinity was all flat. In the Light UI the subtle 3D relief is less pronounced but the Light UI is too reminiscent of old OS UIs for my comfort. Shiver.

Anyway if you have the care factor to chime in, vote/reply with YES/NO and your opinions on the matter.

...and in a few years the winds will blow eastward. Flat is slowing down and on its way out again (Windows is re-introducing glassy effects at this point). Who cares? As long as the GUI design does not interfere with usability, and the GUI controls allow for custom colour schemes and seamless GUI scaling across all devices and screens.

Which is not the case for most applications, including Affinity. Work on that first, I'd say.

1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

...and in a few years the winds will blow eastward. Flat is slowing down and on its way out again (Windows is re-introducing glassy effects at this point). Who cares? As long as the GUI design does not interfere with usability, and the GUI controls allow for custom colour schemes and seamless GUI scaling across all devices and screens.

Which is not the case for most applications, including Affinity. Work on that first, I'd say.

I think they could make an option to be flat or to be 3D.