You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jak, what exactly want to do?

Just start a new document with the aspect ratio of 16:9 ... or use the crop tool with a custom ratio of 16:9 on an existing document.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

16 divided by 2.35 is 6.8, so for a frame height of 9 units you're going to have black bars (of width 1.1 units each) at the top and bottom, as in your screenshot.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16:9 == 2,35:x (where x is the factor for y canvas increase) -> x=1,322
When you have your 2,35:1 document open, got to Document>Resize Canvas in the menue
Unlock the lock-symbol between hight and width and multiply your y dimensions with 1,322
Set the ancor point to the middle and press OK. Now you can fill the newly created areas with black (or whatever you like them to be)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Hi all, an update.

I open my image and then crop to 2.35:1. That works fine. I've saved that crop as a custom ratio.

That is now the correct aspect ratio for the final complete image.

Using the guides in this post, thank you all, I then resize canvas.

When I apply an amount all I manage to achieve is a reclaim of my original image. It does not give me a blank increase that I can fill with black?

What am I doing wrong please?

• Staff
48 minutes ago, Jak Gunn said:

Many thanks indeed. That is the procedure I am following, but when I click resize, I just reclaim the part of the image I cropped out? Not a blank canvas?

Hi Jak Gunn

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Before resizing, right-click the image/layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise to get rid of the cropped parts (which are just hidden - crop in Affinity Photo is non-destructive), then perform the resize as usual.

4 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Jak Gunn

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Before resizing, right-click the image/layer and select Rasterise to get rid of the cropped parts (which are just hidden - crop in Affinity Photo is non-destructive), then perform the resize as usual.

Many thanks for the welcome, and thank you for the tip ;)

That works just fine, thank you :)

Just in case you are doing this work so that it can go to a cinema projector with ‘Scope settings, you might consider that modern cinema uses digital cinema projectors that are pixel based – each color on the screen is sent through the lens from chips that have an exact number of mirrors creating the pixels. So, though your ratios are correct I just wanted to put in the record, for anyone’s future use, the exact pixels dimensions.

There are two standard, defined sizes, Flat and Scope, and two standard projection ‘sizes’, 4K and 2k.

Flat 4k (1.85:1): 3996 x 2160

Flat 2k (1.85:1): 1998 x 1080

Scope 4k (2.39:1): 4096 x 1716

Scope 2k (2.39:1): 2048 x 858

If your picture is going to be used through a projector, one thing to be certain of is: don’t include the black bars on your picture. If you do the internal settings will likely squeeze the picture in some manner that you won’t desire.

Another thing to be concerned with, if your photo is going to a cinema projector, is that the cinema standard is 12 bit TIFF, so export to 16 bits, not 8. It is better that the DCP (Digital Cinema Package) creation tool converts the 16 bit image than an 8.

Good luck to us all.

CJ Flynn

cinematesttools.com

@TestTools, I recall from my youth, when Cinemascope first appeared, that the actual image was compressed horizontally, and the projector used an anamorphic lens to expand this axis onto the screen. Firstly, is my memory correct? Secondly, if so, is a similar system used today?

Looking at @Jak Gunn's original image, I wonder if it would not be better to start with several images merged into a panorama.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630