You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP! Paint Brush & Color Replacement Brush tools?

Hi.  I am very new to Affinity Photo.  Maybe I haven't reached that point in the book yet, but when I try to use the Paint Brush and Color Replacement brush tips I get a strange tool tip that looks almost like the boundaries of some imaginary state and applies two irregular parallel lines.  Is this a brush?  If so, how do I change brushes?  I don't see anything on the panels or bars indicating brush tips.

Conversely, is there any way to turn off brush tips and give me a simple circle w/centered crossbar for the brush icon?

Thanks!

--Cyranose

Brushes are in the Brushes panel in the Studio on the far right.

brush.png.79f5d7f4786c106b5c1a495a84566ec0.png

Scroll down and choose a brush. 

Click on the dropdown menu where it says "Basic" and there are Categories with all sorts of fancy brush shapes. Choose a category and a brush. Although Basic brushes are the normal round ones.

To change the size, either choose a size from the brushes panel or set a size on the Context Toolbar

set.png.1a1fda4f48a4acdef4d18f6144756a1e.png

Set the Width (brush size) to what you want. I suggest the leave the rest at 100% until you sort out your "imaginary state" issue.

If that doesn't work, post a screen grab.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

You can change the pointers in preferences. Edit > Preferences > User Interface

Painting with a lovely shade of green

green.png.2eaf5c8707bdf16aec1b7eade8c57e07.png

5a4f3d7b37604_previewoff.png.65c7e976a1ba33aadec9eae298d9029b.png

Show brush previews off

5a4f3dae20f59_previewon.png.b30bd3b3790ee045009590fc8a3f9aeb.png

Show brush previews on

cross.png.f2115ada970fcb3f0079ebff35053962.png

Always show brush crosshair on

Previews off

5a4f3e7bded2a_crosspreview.png.3a1ebbd6a3b0c6fd537f3e53263750b6.png

Both options on

pr.png.42bedbaf280d25232076a41f7244e535.png

Thank you for the answers, Toltec!  I had only clicked on "More" on the menu bar so far, and didn't see any other brush in it, though I think at this point that may be only for textures?  Anyhow, now I can change out of that weird brush/texture!

I have no idea what that is. It should go away if you select a normal brush, like I said. Or I thought it would. :S

Can you do a screengrab, so we can see ?

This is what a normal Colour Replacement brush looks like (with preview on)

replace.jpg.2186fa8fc6a7f6f99cfe4c6a69d9dedf.jpg

9 hours ago, Cyranose said:

I had only clicked on "More" on the menu bar so far, and didn't see any other brush in it, though I think at this point that may be only for textures?

Clicking "More" in the Context Toolbar when a brush is selected opens a window that allows you to change the general, dynamic, & texture properties of the currently selected brush. The title of the window should be "Brush - Selection." In this mode, changes do not affect the brush presets in the Brushes Studio panel -- think of them as temporarily overriding the setting of the preset.

However, if you change brushes by clicking on a different preset while this window still open, the title of the window will change to "Brush - Editing <name of brush preset>." Changing setting in this mode will change the selected preset's values, so you should be careful about doing that by accident!

BTW, the "Cologne" chapter beginning on page 446 in the Affinity Photo workbook has extensive info about creating your own custom presets.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Toltec - Thanks again for your response.  The weird brushtip did go away when I selected another brush, thanks, and I don't know how to get it back for a screengrab.  However, I tried it on a new document before that, and it seemed usable for creating hair textures.

'Thanks for the brush preview picture.  I definitely prefer preview off, since the preview seems to be in the way of seeing what you are actually applying to the image.  For now, at least, I'm going with preview off and crosshair on.

R C-R - Thank you for explaining that the "More" button can be used for temporary modification of a brush's settings AND for changing the brush presets as well.

Thanks for mentioning the "Cologne" chapter as well.  I'm a long way from there at this point, but I'm sure I'll enjoy the journey.  I'm enjoying learning Affinity Photo!