You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Showing jpg side by side

Open one of your JPEGs, resize the canvas (via 'Document > Resize Canvas...') to accommodate the other one, and then place (via 'File > Place...') the second JPEG next to the first. Alternatively, open both and change the canvas size of one of them, and then copy the other one to the clipboard and paste it as a new layer on top of the first one.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

But that doesn't get me what I need....I just need to look at 2 jpg images of the same subject taken at different f-stops so I can compare depth-of-field and corner sharpness/resolution...side by side...without resizing etc.?

Sorry, I know you said “display”, but I assumed you wanted to incorporate one into the other. If it’s purely a matter of displaying them side by side, you just need to drag down on the title bars of the two windows so that they float; once they’re floating, you can resize and reposition them freely.

Alfred spacer.png

The latest beta 1.6.3.98 has 2 new options, Float & Float All, which will do what Alfred, above, has said automagically.

float.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

The latest beta 1.6.3.98 has 2 new options, Float & Float All, which will do what Alfred, above, has said automagically.

Well, I didn’t actually say it automagically, but I think I know what you meant! :P

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:
5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Well, I didn’t actually say it automagically, but I think I know what you meant! :P

But it is still uncertain what @carl123 thinks you are above.... 297.gif

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

But it is still uncertain what @carl123 thinks you are above.... 297.gif

Well, I'm clearly above both you and him! xD

Alfred spacer.png

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

Thanks for that!  Now I'd like AP to tile them, using what ever sorcery is necessary.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

After reading here about floating windows, I downloaded the latest Photo Beta for Mac to test out this feature since I often like to work with more than one image at  time. (I'm working on an Imac with OS El Capitan.)

I was able to drag down the title bar, as Alfred suggested, and get what looked like it should be a floating window, but I was not able to resize the image by clicking on any of its corners, using the Move tool, and dragging them.  I've attached a screenshot showing the image with a box around it and little X's in the corner. Also, my Window menu does not include the Float and Float All options as show in Carl 123's screenshot. It only includes Clean Up Floating Windows

There was no way I was able to get the two files together on the screen other than using Separated Mode which I believe is different from floating windows. Am I missing a step here? Or is this option available only if you're using Sierra or High Sierra as the OS?

Thanks for the help.

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 5.21.36 PM.png

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

1 hour ago, DianeF said:

using the Move tool

This tool is for moving layer content, not for window handling. You must click and drag window title bar (with file name).

1 hour ago, DianeF said:

little X's in the corner

Layer content not moving, because layer is locked. Click on Lock symbol right in Layer panel, Background layer. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks, Psenda. I did click and drag the window title bar. That's how I got the frame around the content with the little x's that i showed in my screenshot.

Following your suggestion to uncheck the Lock icon in the background layers, I was able to resize each of my images. But they are still each on their own page, and I still can't figure out how to see both at the same time. And, as I mentioned in my previous post, my Window menu does not include the Float and Float All options as show in Carl 123's screenshot. It only includes Clean Up Floating Windows. So, this still raises the question of whether Floating Windows are an option with Mac OS El Capitan. I don't know if there's an additional step that I need to take.

4 hours ago, DianeF said:

There was no way I was able to get the two files together on the screen other than using Separated Mode which I believe is different from floating windows.

On the Mac versions, that is how you get floating (separated) document windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks, R-C-R.

But if that is the way to get floating windows, why does the beta have the capacity to shrink the images within the window, separately from shrinking the window itself, and why does it have the command Clean up Floating Windows in addition to the check box for toggling Separated Mode off and on? These two features suggest that something else might be going on, or potentially going on, in addition to Separated Mode.

In the public release, not the beta mode, neither of these capacities exist.

4 hours ago, DianeF said:

In the public release, not the beta mode, neither of these capacities exist.

I am not sure what you mean by this. All Mac versions have Separated Mode & Clean Up Floating Windows menu items. All Mac versions allow you to zoom in & out and/or resize layers, one of which I assume is what you mean by shrink the images, & you can change the document window size in all versions, just as has always been possible.

If you have not already done so, please review the help topic, About workspace modes.

Affinity Photo 

Thanks, R-C-R. I reviewed the link about workspace modes and played around more with the retail version. I was able to shrink both the document window and the image inside by dragging down the title bar onto the image (using the Move tool) and unlocking the layer. And I did see a menu item in the Windows menu called "Clean Up Floating Windows" but I don't understand what it does and couldn't find information on it when I did a Google search. Also, my Tools Panel has disappeared even though it is checked in the View menu. I don't know how to get it back while in the separated mode. See screenshot.

I also don't understand what is new in the beta version regarding this feature. And Float and Float All are not showing up in the Window menu for the Mac beta version. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 12.38.06 PM.png

3 hours ago, DianeF said:

And I did see a menu item in the Windows menu called "Clean Up Floating Windows" but I don't understand what it does and couldn't find information on it when I did a Google search.

It does not seem to be documented anywhere but from what I can tell, it just affects the Studio panels, moving them to the edges of the display, leaving more room for document windows (both floating in Separated mode & in Normal mode where documents are in tabs). I think the difference between the "In Place" & "On App Screen" options applies to multi-monitor setups, giving users the option to move the panels either on all screens or the primary one (that has the Mac menu bar), but I don't have a second monitor set up to test that.

Also, my Tools Panel has disappeared even though it is checked in the View menu. I don't know how to get it back while in the separated mode. See screenshot.

Are you sure "Show Tools" is checked in the View menu, like this?

5a5d0e0ad6f40_Showtools.png.65277065fbb704741aade57829cc518b.png

If so, I am not sure what the problem might be. I did notice that it is possible to drag the Tools panel right to the edge of the screen, where only the tiniest sliver of it is visible (which I think is poor UI design), so that may be what happened to you. If so, from what I can tell from testing on my own system, the simplest way to fix that is to choose the "Customize Tools..." item from the View menu. That expands the customize tools window far enough onto the screen that its position is easy to see & by dragging on the title bar of the window, it can be moved to a more accessible screen location that 'sticks' after the "Done" button is pressed. If that does not work or is not what is happening I am not sure what to do to fix it.

I also don't understand what is new in the beta version regarding this feature. And Float and Float All are not showing up in the Window menu for the Mac beta version. 

I am not sure what you mean about something being new in the beta version for this feature. Can you explain a bit more about that?

Also, I may have misunderstood something but I think Float and Float All are only features of the Windows versions -- at least they do not show up on either my Mac retail or beta app versions.

EDIT: I just noticed one Window mode related change in the Mac AP beta. In the retail version, switching from Separated back to Normal mode hides the Right Studio panel group (& maybe the Left one too, but I did not check for that) even if it was not previously hidden in Normal mode. The beta does not do that, remembering the prior Studio configuration.

Edited by R C-R

Affinity Photo 

Thanks for the info on the Floating Windows.

Y

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Are you sure "Show Tools" is checked in the View menu, like this?

5a5d0e0ad6f40_Showtools.png.65277065fbb704741aade57829cc518b.png

Yes, my screen looks exactly that like.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

If so, I am not sure what the problem might be. I did notice that it is possible to drag the Tools panel right to the edge of the screen, where only the tiniest sliver of it is visible (which I think is poor UI design), so that may be what happened to you. If so, from what I can tell from testing on my own system, the simplest way to fix that is to choose the "Customize Tools..." item from the View menu. That expands the customize tools window far enough onto the screen that its position is easy to see & by dragging on the title bar of the window, it can be moved to a more accessible screen location that 'sticks' after the "Done" button is pressed. If that does not work or is not what is happening I am not sure what to do to fix it.

Choosing Customize Tools did nothing to bring back the Tools panel. It, or part of it, was not visible anywhere  on my screen. So I'm still missing my tools in the Separated Mode. When I uncheck Separated Mode, I get my Tools panel back in both documents.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what you mean about something being new in the beta version for this feature. Can you explain a bit more about that?

What I was trying to figure out was whether something new had been added in the beta version to allow more things to be done in Separated Mode. From earlier comments on this thread, it sounded like some new features had been added. But maybe they were added only to the Windows version and already existed in the Mac version, as you're suggesting.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

EDIT: I just noticed one Window mode related change in the Mac AP beta. In the retail version, switching from Separated back to Normal mode hides the Right Studio panel group (& maybe the Left one too, but I did not check for that) even if it was not previously hidden in Normal mode. The beta does not do that, remembering the prior Studio configuration.

When I just tested this, the studio panels were not hidden when I unchecked Separated Mode.

Cedge,

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

I'm still not seeing a float feature on the beta for my Mac other than the Separated Mode.

5 minutes ago, DianeF said:

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Why not set it in your profile? Do not have to deal with it all the time.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.