You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brushes to be sorted logically

1. Has anyone figured out how to sort brushes, to be able to have in a logical order. For now there is no order. it adds as i add. the last one added shows up last.

2. And on the right had upper side there is a button to create new category. could import brushes there. could not figure out from where?

• Staff

Hi gyan1,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What OS/Affinity version are you using?

1 - Click and drag the brush to place it anywhere you want within each category. Right-click on it and select Move Brush to Category to move them between categories.

2 - See my reply above. Right click the brush and select Move Brush to Category.

What I would really like, which I don’t think is currently possible, is to be able to rearrange the categories.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi gyan1,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

What OS/Affinity version are you using?

1 - Click and drag the brush to place it anywhere you want within each category. Right-click on it and select Move Brush to Category to move them between categories.

2 - See my reply above. Right click the brush and select Move Brush to Category.

Hi MEB, Affinity designer version 1.6.2.97 

i meant can i have say all arrows, all flowers, all circles etc together. have to go one brush at a time. if i click on each one.

kind of having all categories organised.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9.1.2018 at 7:15 PM, Alfred said:

What I would really like, which I don’t think is currently possible, is to be able to rearrange the categories.

Me too. 

And i would love to have an option: Hold current brush settings (size, hardness...), just change the texture! So i could trash lot of redundancy brsuhes, which would make the library more faster

BTW: the whole preset-system EVRYWHERE could be overworked - eg there is no way to order a style; there is no possibility to call a preset of an adjustment direct from the adjustment-dialog-box; there is no possibility to save filter-settings; there are no gradient-presets directly from any place where a gradient could set; the one fvorite-box for fonts is not enough (escapilly for glyphes i need other favorites)… 

Only the macro-preset system works a little bit, as it should (with drag&drop) but here the overview (folders are smaller than presets, neraly the same color…) could be optimized. And finally a real preset-manager which allows subcategories, batch rename, batch move, batch delete… as a central point for organizing ALL stuff and fire-up-station would be great.

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

On 1/9/2018 at 0:15 PM, Alfred said:

I would like to see managers for brushes, styles, & so on that worked similarly to the Layers panel so that all categories, subcategories, or their 'child' items could be dragged & dropped to any desired point in the parent/child hierarchy.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

In Photoshop it is a simple matter to drag the categories around and get them in alphabetical order. But in Affinity Photo the categories are stuck in place, each new one attaching to the bottom of the list. It's ridiculous! I have around 40 categories and it is a time-wasting pain having to fish around through a jumble to find what I want. I want to use Affinity, really I do, but this is the sort of thing that drives me back to Photoshop.

• 1 year later...
On 3/2/2018 at 6:27 AM, ColinK said:

In Photoshop it is a simple matter to drag the categories around and get them in alphabetical order. But in Affinity Photo the categories are stuck in place, each new one attaching to the bottom of the list. It's ridiculous! I have around 40 categories and it is a time-wasting pain having to fish around through a jumble to find what I want.

It is rather painful when you have established the collection of brushes you want ... and it is big. Just to sort them alphabetically would take the pain out of searching a lot.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

image.png.878a27b7cde02d4716f9036e1104288b.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

As in the other topic, what does your Recent Profile Visitors list have to do with anything? 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7