You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please post video tutorials if you know how to use features

I have recently downloaded the affinity photo beta. I have played a little with it and it does seem to be a very good program with great potential with all the user support. I'm a photographer that uses lightroom 5 for 95% of editing. I have tried to understand CS6 and have learned a little bit of the program but find it a complicated and extremely powerful program.

Since this is a new program and I don't use Affinity Designer I am having difficulty understanding how to use the layers and masks in this program. I'm sure they work in a similar fashion but things are laid out in a different manner I find. If you know how to use layers, masks, and the tools that affinity photo has can people start to post some short tutorials here please. Would be great help. I'm sure the affinity crew is working hard at creating some but think they are likely very busy fixing and adding features to the program that simply learning how to use the features for newcomers is being overlooked.

Things I would like to know:

1. how the layers work

2. how the masks work

3. how to create a layer-mask and then be able to "hide" or "reveal" part of that mask by using a brush and a black or white swatch

what all the tools do down the left side of the screen. I know I can play with them but I can't seem to get some of them to work so I don't know what they do...

4. the basic navigation of the UI, since it's new to me

Would appreciate the help and hopefully people can post little youtube videos right in this thread that people could search and find...

cheers,

Jason 

Hey if the person above me is a Newbie, consider me Uber Newb.  Would love an in depth "getting started" tutorial and some simpler beginner lessons to get my feet wet.  I am totally looking to sink my teeth into this juicy steak but I'm afraid I have no fork or knife if you get my drift.  Thank you very kindly!

• Staff

Hello Optikz, fmateojr,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is quite recent and it's still in beta.

This means that there will be improvements that may change the way certain things work.

This limits a little the relevance of tutorials written specifically for the beta at this point.

As we move forward we will provide better documentation along with video tutorials that will cover most of Affinity Photo features.

Meanwhile, I've been listing some of the (few) resources available here

Hi

I have always been a firm believer in having an "Idiots Guide" in how to use or operate something(particularly in industry). To this end I created one for beginners using LR at our photography club. So yes, a basic guide to using Affinity Photo would be very useful. To me the Levels and Exposure controls are not self explanatory so even tho' I am a dab hand with LR, I need some guidance with Affinity. To purchase at this stage when the 10day trial expires just ain't going to happen unless I have a better understanding of the software.

• Staff

There is no 10 day trial on the beta. The beta program will update and run, unlimited until the beta ends, so don't worry about time limits. As Miguel says, this is the very beginning of the first public appearance of Affinity Photo - it is in a very volatile state of change at the moment and we are actively trying to improve the program by listening to users and responding to their requests and tweaks so this in itself would potentially invalidate a number of tutorials within days of them being created. This will not always be the case, obviously... things will settle down soon and then people will start creating tutorials as they are more likely to be relevant to the finished product.

Please accept our apologies at this stage that the beta may be found to be a little 'hard going' without tutorials. As explained, this isn't an oversight, it is just a reality of the way in which the software evolves in response to the public and this issue is only transient.

Thanks again,

Matt

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.