You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I have a general question regarding Photo on Mac. Often when I'm painting on layer masks or adjustment layers the %CPU displayed in Activity Monitor rises to anywhere between 300% and up to 700%, at which point the fans are very loud. The files can sometimes be quite large, >1gb but that's not always the case, and I experience the same issue with files of 50mb - suggesting it's not related to file size.

Is this normal? My computer specs (attached) are, I think, good so I'm just surprised that it seems to stress the system quite so much.

I'd appreciate any comments or advice.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 14.49.04.png

I'm seeing comparable numbers under Windows - just moving the brush around can take the CPU utilisation up to 40%.  I'm surprised it's that high, too, but then I've never looked at it before!  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

@IanSG interesting that you're seeing the same - you wrote 40% above, I assume that was a typo and you meant 400%, comparable to what I see?

@MEB You've been so very helpful in the past, do you have any informed thoughts on my original question and the comments of a couple of others. 

Thank you in advance.

Just now, LordyW said:

@IanSG interesting that you're seeing the same - you wrote 40% above, I assume that was a typo and you meant 400%, comparable to what I see?

Win 10 is reporting total CPU load rather than what the individual cores are doing - 40% is correct.  

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff

Hi LordyW,

There's no 'best way' to get an official answer other than to ask and hopefully someone will be able to spot your post and answer it - in this case, me! ;) What you're seeing is utterly normal and what it's designed to do. We designed the program to be able to process in a parallel fashion without much penalty, so what you're seeing is the workload you've asked for (in this case blending hundreds, potentially thousands of nozzles on top of each other across different areas of the document) split across your processor cores (you have a 4 core, hyper-threaded processor, yielding 8 logical cores). This means you may see activity up to 800% at times. It's simply the fastest way to get to the end of the workload and it's what your processor was designed to do. When your system sees the work and the CPU starts to heat up, it will put your fans on to keep it cool. There's nothing to worry about in this respect.

Hope that helps,

Matt